Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Question - Pitching onto Yeast Cake

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2013, 04:29 PM   #1
CircusHooker
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Question - Pitching onto Yeast Cake

I typically brew and ignore my beer for a month - then check gravity and bottle. However, I am trying something new.

I am currently brewing Northern's Bourbon Barrel Porter with Wyeast 1728.

I want to transfer the porter to secondary to add the bourbon and oak chips and then brew Northern's Imperial Stout and pitch it onto the Porter's yeast cake.

My plan for the porter was to bottle it at 6 weeks - with the oak chips and bourbon added in the last week or two before bottling.

So - when would it be optimal to pitch the Stout onto the existing yeast cake? Two weeks? Four weeks? The porter was brewed on February 9th and this weekend would be two weeks.

I could brew the IS and rack the porter to secondary this weekend or wait. I can move the porter to secondary at any time to continue conditioning and for adding tasty things.

I guess I just want to know if there is a time frame that would have the yeast cake in the best condition for receiving the stout.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 04:31 PM   #2
CircusHooker
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Also, this is assuming the porter has reached final gravity....

Old 02-18-2013, 04:34 PM   #3
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 717 Times on 507 Posts
Likes Given: 50

That's exactly what I did with my last barleywine. It'll work, but be ready for an extremely vigorous ferment.

Old 02-18-2013, 04:38 PM   #4
CircusHooker
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm actually looking forward to the crazy fermentation! My blow off tube is ready - and that puppy is going to sit in a shower stall for the first few days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
That's exactly what I did with my last barleywine. It'll work, but be ready for an extremely vigorous ferment.

Quick Reply