Question about term buckets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenoglass

Not only do I brew but I play ukulele!
Reaction score
So been brewing about a year and I want to make a cider and some mead. Would it be ok to use the same plastic bucket I use for my beer or should I get one for mead/cider? I wasn't too sure if I made cider that it would then ruin the mead or beer with the apple flavor? Thanks.

I would think the same would work. We make different styles of beer in the same buckets and don't worry about flavor carrying over. I've made Apfelwein in my beer fermenters.

The concerns about this sort of thing often relate to using Brettanomyces yeast. If you don't clean thoroughly, it will remain in your equipment.

I keep them separate. One for beer and one for wine / mead. The beer buckets have a fairly hefty hop smell to them even after cleaning very good. I am not sure anything would be bad going from a strong beer to a wine, but I never wanted to chance it.

I ferment beer, wine, and cider in the same plastic buckets for years. The older ones do have a slight odor to them when empty but it does not carry over to the final product.

Thanks for all the input. I might get an extra bucket so I can make extra batches of mead, beer and cider when I feel like it.

If you're meaning ale pails or the equivalent, they're cheap enough that I would say to get at least one for each type of fermentation. One for beer, one for cider, and so forth.
There may be minimal pass over of flavors and color, but I like to not even give it a chance.

Latest posts

Back