Question about FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisjhennessey

Reaction score
I'm brewing my first homebrew and I have a question about the FG. I'm brewing an Irish Stout, and the FG said to be between 1.010-1.012. It's been in the primary for two weeks. I took a FG today, and it's at 1.014. Would it be bad if I bottle tomorrow or should I let it sit for a few more days, and keep tabs on the FG and if it remains level then bottle? I just want to make sure being 2 pts higher isn't the end of the world. Thanks!

To be sure your should have no change over three days. So ideally you would check it for two more days. If you MUST bottle tomorrow and there has been no change I'm guessing you will still be just fine. Two weeks is typically plenty of time. Although the beer will benefit with more time on the yeast to clean up fermentation by products. If you can go one more week that would be great.

You're safe to bottle after the gravity stabilizes, regardless of the target FG. And 2 points off is a rounding error ;) nothing to worry about.

Wait two days and check again. If your fg is unchanged you are done.

The hardest part of home brewing is waiting.

It won't hurt a thing to wait a few extra days, but you will mess it up if you bottle too early.

My vote is always to leave things alone.

Easier said than done, though.

Might still be trying to knock off a couple more points. It's not too often for me that beers don't finish in the recommended range. After FG is stable,I give it another 3-7 days to clean up fermentation by products & settle out clear or slightly misty. Then package.

Back