Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Propane burner advice requested...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2013, 01:20 AM   #1
Falchan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Propane burner advice requested...

I started brewing this past February, and have been very happy with the results thus far, but I have been cooking on the stove which takes a good deal of time and in the summer generates way too much heat and humidity in the house. I'm looking for a propane burner to cook my wort outdoors... any suggestions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2013, 01:23 AM   #2
bigmike99
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 25 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 257 Times on 170 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Got a bayou sp1 (?) off the shelf from home depot. Think it was $50. Looking back I'd grab the turkey fryer setup instead to get a bigger pot though.

Untappd-Mombo

Old 07-21-2013, 01:36 AM   #3
Cyclman
I Sell Koalas
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 415 Times on 365 Posts
Likes Given: 130

+1 on turkey fryer, get one that doesn't have an auto temp shutoff, those don't work well for brewing.

Or, go for a banjo burner or Blich. with a big 10G pot- more $ but will last forever.

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime! Bill Owen quote

Join the Beacon Point (Aurora, CO) Brewclub on Facebook- casual, fun brewing, drinking, socializing!

Old 07-21-2013, 12:20 PM   #4
hehawbrew
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclman
+1 on turkey fryer, get one that doesn't have an auto temp shutoff, those don't work well for brewing.

Or, go for a banjo burner or Blich. with a big 10G pot- more $ but will last forever.
Auto temp is a pain! My turkey fryer was a gift, so I can't complain. Easy fix with a few strips of duct tape to keep to valve open tho.

Only bad thing is the pot that comes with the fryer is almost to small. You can not walk away unless you want to risk a boil over.

Old 07-21-2013, 01:06 PM   #5
loucurr
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts

The auto shut off is not a problem. You can go on YouTube and find the video on how to bypass it. It is real easy. Once it is bypassed you have a fail safe in case your flame goes out for some reason. you won't have propane leaking out if you walk away from you boil for a few minutes.

Old 07-21-2013, 01:36 PM   #6
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 635 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 168

I have a Brinkmann turkey fryer for my HLT. It has a switch that is depressed when the pot is on it. There are two wires on spade type connectors. Just pull them off the switch and join the two ends together. I don't think what loucurr said is right. If the flame goes out the gas does not stop.

I also have a Bayou Classic SP10 for my boil kettle. It seems a lot hotter and faster than the turkey fryer. The Bayou Classic SQ14 is also popular.

Top of the line bling would be a Blichmann burner.

Old 07-21-2013, 01:41 PM   #7
Yellowirenut
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I started with a turkey fryer I got off of amazon. When I went to all grain 7-9 gallon boils the fryer just took to long to get to a full boil for me. I then regulated it to just a HLT. 6 boils later and the thermocouple quit on me. (the models with thermocouples and not just the switch will stop the gas flow.)
I now have a pair bayou sq14's

The turkey fryer is a good start but don't expect to use it long as "upgrading" seems to be a fun part of this hobby.

Yellow Room brewery ~ why? Because the walls are yellow.

Old 07-21-2013, 03:31 PM   #8
guldalian
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

If you don't want to ever bother with upgrading, bite the bullet and get a Blichmann. I've done 3 batches on mine so far and it is a monster. Built like a tank as well.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:28 PM   #9
JimRausch
Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 135

Ordered the Propane burner/ Turkey Fryer 30 Qt. combo from Bass Pro Shop that someone posted about a couple weeks ago. Used it the 1st time a week ago. Love it!
No more partial boils on the stove(or full boils using 2 3G pots). Sa weeet!

Old 07-21-2013, 09:45 PM   #10
Gitmoe
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Blichmann... game over.

It really is worth the extra money. I'd never buy anything else from them but with burners nobody comes close. Unless you want a jet burner. That's a different conversation.

Quick Reply