Primary to Secondary Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CliffMongoloid

Reaction score
I have a ale going in primary for 9 days now.... krausen has not fallen.... i want to rack to secondary so i can add blueberry puree.... i dont have a hydrometer due to breaking it during the brew day..... should i wait?

I was thinking to rack it now cause of adding the blueberries and there being a second fermentation neway ...

:confused: Then why ask? Personally, I want to know my fermentation is complete before moving the beer off of the yeast, so I use a hydrometer. Without one, I'd wait for visible signs of completion, and seeing as you still have krausen and cloudy beer, I'd say those signs aren't there yet. Just me, but I wouldn't take a hydro reading until the krausen fell, so I surely wouldn't be thinking about transferring it at this point.

I wasnt trying to confuse you just bringing up a point... ur points are valid and make sense so i will wait till it falls and get a new hydrometer.... thank you

That's what I'd do. At 9 days, you're probably close to, if not at FG, but no sense in rushing it. You could always help the stubborn krausen by gently (very) giving the fermenter a swirl to loosen it from the sides. I've don't this before and it works, just be careful not to splash the beer.

CliffMongoloid said:
Thanks... ill wait a few days.... i have a hydrometer just found an extra one but no thief or turkey baster.... ne ideas on how to check?

You can sanatize the hydrometer and float it in the wort and take your measurement that way.

You can sanatize the hydrometer and float it in the wort and take your measurement that way.

Might not read too well if he still has that krausen layer on top.

Cliff, your local grocer's should have a turkey baster in the 'baking goods' aisle. Just make sure to take it apart and give it a good soak in PBW (or whatever you use to clean) and sanitize it well.

Not bad

ForumRunner_20120725_104409.jpg

Latest posts

Back