Pouring Cocoa Nibs Vanilla, is it possible to do like this:

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Incoerenza86

Reaction score
Hello,

Today i am going to soak in vodka cocoa nibs and vanilla pods for couple of days before let them "join" along with my brew which is sitting in primary for couple of weeks.

One question: Can i add them in the bucket where is actually happening the primary or do i have to move the brew in the barrel and add the nibs/vodka/vanilla there?

Thanks,

Hello,

Today i am going to soak in vodka cocoa nibs and vanilla pods for couple of days before let them "join" along with my brew which is sitting in primary for couple of weeks.

One question: Can i add them in the bucket where is actually happening the primary or do i have to move the brew in the barrel and add the nibs/vodka/vanilla there?

Thanks,

Are you actually going to barrel age the brew? Or are you just referring to a secondary bucket as a barrel? Either way, adding your nibs and vanilla beans (add the seeds too! There's flavor there too! Add it all!) into the primary is fine. Just do it after primary fermentation is complete. Adding it during primary would work, though most of the aroma will be lost due to the ferment.

If you're actually barrel aging, I'd still put the nib and beans in the primary after the primary ferment, get those flavors to where you want them, then rack to your barrel. That way you have a little better control over the different flavors. Make sense? Of course this is only one way to do it. Others may have other suggestions. Good luck with it and have fun with it!:mug:

Back