Placing notes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soulpanda

Reaction score
Hey guys!
My GF is bored with the same old
Coffee-chocolate stouts. She was
Wanting one that started with cherry
Notes and ended with vanilla notes. Is
This possible, and how would I
accomplish it? Thanks!

Andrew

I don't have any experience with this but I'm sure some cherry extract and vanilla extract could be added to the secondary in very small increments until you get the balance/flavor she is looking for.

I don't have any experience with this but I'm sure some cherry extract and vanilla extract could be added to the secondary in very small increments until you get the balance/flavor she is looking for.

That would work. Another option is to secondary the beer with some cherries (about 1 pound or so, I think... might get a second opinion on the amount, since I have not made a cherry stout yet) and a vanilla bean or 2

What if I placed cherries in the primary and then let

You could add cherries to the primary, but it is probably best to wait until AFTER the main fermentation has completed. There will probably be another small fermentation when you add the cherries, as the yeast will start eating some of the sugar in the fruit. You do not want to add the cherries during initial fermentation, since the fermentation will "suck the life out of them" and change the fruit so much that there would probably not be much cherry flavor/character left.

Back