'Pitch Count'

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ballardinho

Reaction score
I'm planning in brewing my second beer tomorrow....a Citra IPA. I purchased my yeast today, WY 1056, and smacked it in advance of tomorrow. I just noticed, however, that the recipe calls for 'ideally pitch 235 billion cells'. I only have 100 billion.

Looking back, my first brew, a Pale Ale, called for 195 billion but I only used 100. The fermentation was awesome and timely.

Do I need to push my brew day back and grab more yeast?

A proper sized starter is one of the best things you can do for your beer. If you have time, I'd recommend it. It's much cheaper than buying more yeast packs.

Can you direct me to a somewhat easy starter how-to? I have seen a few and they are almost completely different.

This is the writeup from our wiki, which isn't bad. The only thing I would do is start with at least a quart sized starter, which is double the size of the directions below. That ought to be good enough (1.5qt might be best for your OG, but don't sweat details like this).

Basically what you're doing is making a small, low gravity, extract only, unhopped beer. If you can make beer, you can make a starter. Just make sure to sanitize everything as usual. Cover the jar, jug, or whatever you use with sanitized foil instead of an airlock - you want some oxygen to get in, but you don't want to risk infection.

Yeast Starter Procedure

Making a starter is relatively straightforward, far easier than brewing an entire batch of beer.

Allow yeast to come to room temperature. If it is a smack pack, smack it first.
Bring one pint of water to a boil in a two quart saucepan on the stove top.
Reduce the heat, add one half cup of Dry Malt Extract (DME) to the water, and mix it thoroughly.
Gently boil the wort for ten minutes.
Remove the saucepan from the stove top, and cool it to room temperature, ~75ºF (~24ºC).
Put the cooled wort into an approximately half gallon (~2L) container.
Cover and aerate thoroughly by shaking or putting it on a stir plate.
Pour the contents of the yeast vial or smack pack into the container.
Shake to mix the yeast into the wort.
Cover the container with a piece of foil or a loose-fitting cap. Place on stir plate at this time if you have one.
There will be very little sign of activity, but the starter should be ready in one to three days.
You may step up the starter by adding additional wort over a period of days.

After you have brewed your full starter, you may either:

Shake the entire mixture again to get all the yeast into suspension and pitch it into the wort.

-OR-

Chill the mixture a few hours to a day before pitching to drop the yeast out of suspension.
Decant off the top layer of liquid before pitching just the yeast into the wort.

My question is when decanting the liquid, how do you pour the yeast in without it all sticking to the sides and loosing a bunch of yeast?

You mean after decanting, yes?

The purpose of decanting is to discard the beer on top of the yeast. That's the first step. Then you're left with mostly yeast after decanting, which goes into your main wort.

At that point, swirl heavily and pour quickly. That prevents any meaningful loss.

I guess my question would be this...if I'm making a starter to not only save money but to also increase my cell count, how do I know what cell count I get to? If I know I have 1B in smackpack, but need to get to 2.35B, how do I know I'm getting there? Or should I just be ok knowing that I'm increasing cell count?

Btw....thanks so much for your input!

Can you direct me to a somewhat easy starter how-to? I have seen a few and they are almost completely different.

Here is a link to how to make a simple starter in the Brewers Friend site which also has the starter size calculator I use.
This link does not say that by shaking and swirling the starter container as often as possible, extra aeration, will speed the completion of the fermentation and cell propagation.
The starter container need not be kept in the dark. Just don't have it sitting in sunlight or other strong light.
The starter is finished when no instant krausen forms when you give it a shake.
Use a large container. A 1 quart starter in a 2 quart jar could overflow with krausen. Not a big deal, but messy.

I forgot to select paste.

http://www.brewersfriend.com/yeast-pitch-rate-and-starter-calculator/

Follow GuldTuborg guide to making the starter. Use the Brewers Friend calculator to determine the size you will need.
Use the default Pro brewer 0.75 for the pitch rate.
Aerate the wort every time you or someone else can. This will finish the fermentation sooner, probably 24 to 36 hours.
Covering your container with sanitized aluminum foil works well.

I reread the Brewers Friend starter instructions. Parts of it are not necessarily the best practice. Especially the long hard boil.

So, sounds like making starter is way to go.

However, I'm leaving town in a couple days and want to brew before I leave. Would it work to just buy another yeast pack to get my cell count up to where it's supposed to be, activate and pitch with other pack into wort?

So, sounds like making starter is way to go.

However, I'm leaving town in a couple days and want to brew before I leave. Would it work to just buy another yeast pack to get my cell count up to where it's supposed to be, activate and pitch with other pack into wort?

Pitching two packs would probably work if the yeast is not to old. There can be up to a 21% loss of viability per month.

Back