pilsen malt question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacefive

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm not a beginner per se, been all grain for over a year, but I did do my first batch with a base of pilsen malt and it tastes a little tangy. I'll post the recipe below, just wondering if this is normal. I can't really describe it as anything but tangy. It's a peach wit. Anyway, here's the recipe:

9lb Belgian pils malt
3lb white wheat
1lb flaked wheat

mashed @ 130-135 (cant remember exactly) pro rest 30 mins
then 154 for an hour

got 1.055 sg and 1.012 fg

the recipe did call for 2 row base but I wanted to try it this way. Guess that may have been a mistake. The only thing i can think of with my experience is that maybe my water is a bit too hard to brew with pilsen malt, but thats just a guess from stuff I've read. I did use 5.2 to stabilize PH but didn't take any kind of PH reading. Anyway, just curious if this makes sense to anyone?

Thanks!

I substitute Pils for 2-row a lot.

I think it leads to a slightly drier beer.

Tangy? Could it be the peaches?

Yeh, certainly could be the peaches, but I put the peaches in @ secondary and this 'tang' was very strong when i tasted it at transfer, so I doubt it is. It may still be green, just need another week or two!

no warmer than 72, I keep a pretty close eye on keeping it 65-70 degrees

Well it could be a couple things...

A very slight wild yeast or bacterial infection could cause this tang.

Another thing that comes to mind is acetaldehyde which is produced by yeast, some strains more than others, and is an intermediate alcohol compound and over time it will go away.

Hey all, just wanted to drop in an update, it's definitely receded into the background, and the beer is dry, which offsets the peach flavor nicely. I'm really enjoying it, but just drinking a small sample glass, as I think one more week will see this one in a good place!

Thanks for everything, as always!

Back