Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Papazian-inspired Saison!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2009, 05:58 PM   #1
GloHoppa
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Papazian-inspired Saison!

Okay so for Christmas this year I got this sweet calendar put together by Charlie Papazian called "365 Bottles of Beer for the Year". The coolest thing about this calendar is every Sunday there is a recipe for the previous Saturday's beer. Saturday was an awesome review of Saison Dupont, so Sunday there was a sweet recipe for a Ommegang Hennepin clone. It reads:

6.6lb Light LME
.5lb Light DME
2lb light candy sugar
1 1/4oz Styrian Goldings (bittering)
.5oz Saaz hops (aroma)
1oz powdered ginger root
1oz bitter orange peel

Its a pretty straightforward extract recipe. It calls for dissolving the sugars in warm water, bringing to a boil and adding the Styrian Goldings at 60min, the ginger and orange peel at 15, and the Saaz at 2 min.

When I was ordering the ingredients for this kit through AHS, I had to order 1lb of DME, and only ordered 1oz of the Styrian Golding as well as 1oz of the Saaz since I didn't want to be stuck with an extra 3/4oz of the Golding that would probably just oxidize. Now I am thinking I might use the extra DME for making a starter, but with the extra Saaz I was thinking about using maybe a quarter to a half ounce of the left over Saaz in the bittering addition so it doesn't go to waste..

Any suggestions?

Oh and for the record I am using a Belgian yeast we have on slant at work I know you're jealous!

Primary: (empty)
Carboy: Apfelwein, aged 11 mo
Mr. Beer: (empty)
Bottled/Conditioning: (empty)

Planning: Belgian Pale Ale, Hop Harvest Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2009, 08:26 PM   #2
histo320
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 8