overfoaming when I tried my R.I.S

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtrain

Reaction score
I bottled up my Russian Imperial Stout about a week ago keeping it in my basement at 64.4 ambient temp thought I would try a bottle of it today to see how it is going. Alas foam foam foam sigh...I am hoping I did not overprime my beer I put 4.1 oz of dextrose in at bottling. Not sure if I overprimed or if it just needs more time to settle. Any ideas?

I'd bet it just needs more time. The Co2 hasn't had time to "penetrate" the beer. After bottle conditioning, a few days in the fridge really helps as well.

Ok thanks I thought that may have been it but I was not sure. I will just leave it to the beer gods to mature and work on my next creation.

4.1oz dextrose in how many gallons? If the usual 5gal, to me that's a good bit overprimed for a big stout, I'd have done more like 2.7-3.0 oz.

used a beer priming calculator on brewers friend said for a stout I could go with 4.3 oz to have beer carbonated at 2.0 and stouts could go up to 2.3 so think it is around the right dextrose levels.

Way, way, way too soon. Leave it alone for the next 6 months. Start on your next brew...:mug:

Yep.

An RIS will take much longer to properly carb than the beer shown in the video.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back