Over-attenuation yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cms

Reaction score
My last couple batches have hit significantly lower FG than the recipe (and yeast strain) predicted. I know there are lots of variables, but I wonder if I'm just missing something obvious.

I made a ESB with WLP023 and it hit about 83% for a FG of 1.009, compared to the 1.015 estimate.

I also made an amber with some washed 1056 and that one hit 85% for a FG of 1.009, compared that its estimate of 1.013.

1.009 doesn't seem unbearably dry to me, but it is pretty low. I ferment in an area of my basement where it's a steady 66°F. The ESB got a half a vial for a 2.5G batch and the amber got about 80% of the amount of slurry recommended by MrMalty (so I estimate that both with slightly under-pitched). Both batches took off like a rocket.

None of my beers have been bad, but every batch has had over-achieving yeast or something. Or my hydrometer is out of whack. But the last 2 or 3 batches have been significantly under the estimated FG.

Any thoughts?

I'd double check your hydrometer. Those can be up to .006 out of whack.

It seems a bit odd for the extract batch in particular. What temperature did you mash at for the ESB?

Are you spending time talking to the yeast? I've heard reading a bedtime story to your fermenting beer helps attenuation. Otherwise, you might just be lucky. Time to brew a Saison?

1056 can chew the crap out of sugars like that, but still a little surprising given it was extract. Maybe too low a mash temp on the AG?

Back