Opinion on this Hefe recipe:

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firefly765

Reaction score
I'm pressed for time & just got a shipping delay from Morebeer. So, i decided to go ahead with what i have on hand. The grain bill is all i really have on hand for the style, I've been wanting to get rid of this rock candy forever & figure a little corn sugar to boost the alc % to respectable level.

Any suggestions?:confused:

Style: Weizen/Weissbier
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.20 gal
Boil Size: 6.57 gal
Estimated OG: 1.043 SG
Estimated Color: 4.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 12.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 40.00 %
3.00 lb White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 40.00 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 6.67 %
0.50 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] (60 min) Hops 8.9 IBU
0.50 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] (10 min) Hops 3.2 IBU
0.50 lb Candi Sugar, Clear (0.5 SRM) Sugar 6.67 %
0.50 lb Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 6.67 %
1 Pkgs Weihenstephan Weizen (Wyeast Labs #3068) Yeast-Wheat

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 6.50 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 8.13 qt of water at 165.9 F 154.0 F

Won't be a true Hefe... I would only make a hefe with pilsner malt... also i think you are closer to making a dirty Blonde or a belgian ale with that recipe than a hefe...

I'd just wait it out.

It doesn't really look like a hefeweizen on paper... but I'm sure it will be good. The Germans wouldn't dare put candy sugar in a proper hefe :D

Won't be a true Hefe... I would only make a hefe with pilsner malt... also i think you are closer to making a dirty Blonde or a belgian ale with that recipe than a hefe...

I'd just wait it out.

Can't wait. Tick...tock....tick....tock....

The Pilsner malt to replace the 2-row? I thought 2- row & wheat were pretty much staples of a hefe? Just need more wheat malt.

13% of simple sugar will make for a pretty dry beer. I'd wait til you can get what you need or just make a session beer out of it and forget about the corn sugar.

13% of simple sugar will make for a pretty dry beer. I'd wait til you can get what you need or just make a session beer out of it and forget about the corn sugar.

I've got no problem with a session. If too dry should i replace the corn suger with some DME?

Russian River uses roughly 5% simple sugar and a good yeast to help dry out their Pliny the elder which has a SG of 1.070. 13% in a 1.043 would be far too much sugar. I'd skip the corn sugar and add some wheat or malt to the bill. Its fun to experiment with beers, but high sugar content doesn't create a good beer IMO. I did a Honey brown that used about 15% honey and its super dry and has a hot alcohol flavor despite being fermented at 67 degrees. Not something I will try again.

I would ditch the simple sugars and scale the batch down to 3.5-4 gallons of legit hefeweizen, rather than some watered down concoction. That should give you an OG somewhere between the mid 40's and low 50's.

Back