One odd bottle in a batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobInOre

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This is something I haven't experienced before in my 50 or so previous batches. Out of the 48 bottles, one of them was radically different in color, carbonation and flavor. The other bottles were ok but this one was much better. I use the same bottling process as all previous batches, 3/4 cup corn sugar, boiled, cooled, then rack out of carboy on top of it while it gently swirls. I'm accustomed to subtle variations from batch to batch, and even within a batch as it ages. This was really different though. Like the difference between a porter and an APA.

Has anyone else experienced such a thing within the same batch?

Someone playing a prank? Can't think of anything else that would account for that big of a change.

It wasn't the 8th or 10th bottle right? You may have played a prank on yourself.

:)

Another potentially simple answer.... do you have more than one style of beer in a bottle? Could you have picked a bottle from another batch without thinking about it?

celticdevildog said:
Another potentially simple answer.... do you have more than one style of beer in a bottle? Could you have picked a bottle from another batch without thinking about it?

Basically what I was getting at...

:)

I'm no expert, but could it have been that there was a bottle that didn't get cleaned and might have had something growing on the bottom when you added the beer?

My first thought was that I had a bottle from a different batch too. But I write the number on the cap. As for pranks, the only person around is SWMBO and she doesn't drink, thus doesn't care. I thought of contamination but this bottle was so good it just didn't seem right. Contaminated with pixie dust perhaps?

Back