OG slightly higher

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawkeyes

Reaction score
I made a Pilsner and the OG was off by .005. The OG should be 1.045 and mine came out to be 1.050. Will this cause my FG to be different? According to the instructions, the FG should be 1.008.

Should just make some more abv, no? :)

Yes, which isn't bad thing :) ..but I'm waiting for it to hit the FG before I rack to secondary and drop it down to lagering temps. It's around 1.012 - 1.013 right now. So I'm curious if the FG will end up slightly higher since my OG was slightly higher.

So if everything else is constant, if you have a higher OG, you will likely have a higher FG. But its not going to be to 1:1. So in your case, I wouldn't expect your increase in OG to be more than 0.01 or 0.02, not the full 0.05 that your OG was off.

So if everything else is constant, if you have a higher OG, you will likely have a higher FG. But its not going to be to 1:1. So in your case, I wouldn't expect your increase in OG to be more than 0.01 or 0.02, not the full 0.05 that your OG was off.

Thanks for the reply! I'll check it again Friday. If it hits around 1.009-1.010, I will call it good. It's still bubbling every 8 seconds, but I know that isn't a real indicator. :)

Back