Oats in an Extract kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cranny04

Reaction score
Hey all,
I just got AHS anniversary wit extract kit. It comes with 1 lb flakes oats, 1/2 lb Belgian Pilsen malt, and 1/2 ld white wheat.

The instructions say to steep the grains. Aren't you supposed to mash oats? I've never used them before.

The way u understand it is: if I steep them the starch will not be converted to sugar and will be left in the finished beer...

How will this affect the finished beer?
Should I just steep them or try some sort of mini mash?

Thanks for the help!

The oats will add body and mouthfeel to your finished brew. If the instructions say to steep them, well follow the instructions. If you want to get all crazy and stuff, you could try a partial mash with those grains

You're steeping them with the Pilsen and wheat malts. This will effectively mash the oats. You're not controlling the time or temperature as carefully as you would with a true mash, but you'll still be converting them. Just keep the temperature below 165F - preferably in the 155F range.

Latest posts

Back