oatmeal brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heavyp

Reaction score
I want to try a oatmeal brew has any one done this and if so any pointers I will only be making a 1 gallon brew also

Do you mean an oatmeal stout?

If so look under Stout on the Recipes section, there are some oatmeal stout recipes on there. When you find the one you like divide your desired batch volume by the batch volume of the original recipe. This will give you a percentage to use when calculating the weight of ingredients for your scaled down batch.

Currently I have a 15 litre batch of CBBAron's Oatmeal Stout bubbling away. I scaled down the recipe using the method above. I just had to convert the original recipe batch volume to litres first but that's because my brain works in metric when dealing with volume (I still prefer pounds over kilograms though for weight/mass for some reason).

My first all grain beer was a gallon of Oatmeal Sout. I don't remember what recipe I used (should take notes when I brew) but I was happy with it for my first attempt away from Cooper's kits.

Yes, oatmeal is usually an ingredient in a malt bill. I've brewed oatmeal stout, oatmeal brown ales, milk stouts that have oatmeal in it, etc. My first all grain beer was an oatmeal stout too which was pretty easy. I'd research and see if you want to toast the oats before mashing or if there's any other aspects of using oats that you may want to know. There's lots of info on here if you use the search function. Good Luck! :mug:

Back