Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Nut Brown Ale Recipe Change?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2012, 11:33 AM   #1
PackerfaninSanDiego
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Nut Brown Ale Recipe Change?

Picked up the extract kit yesterday. Was thinking of mixing it up a tad with the recipe. Any suggestions? Not sure what I want to do.
Chocolate Malt?
Carmel, honey?

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 12:07 PM   #2
DrummerBoySeth
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 49

You need to know HOW you want the finished beer to be different before you go jacking with the recipe. Have you ever brewed this recipe before? If you have never brewed it, I would probably not change it too much, since you do not know what the beer tastes like as-is. I generally do not "mix it up" with a recipe the first time that I brew it. Once I know what the base recipe tastes like, then I can add hops, change hops types, try a different yeast, add spices, etc... It all depends on if I think the base recipe needs more hops, or less hops, or more alcohol, and so on. I do not recommend making changes "willy-nilly" just for the sake of doing something different.

"Give a man a beer, and he will waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he will waste a lifetime!" Bill Owen

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply