Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Noob question about flameout additions...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2010, 10:53 PM   #1
kingmatt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Noob question about flameout additions...

Hey all,

I have been reading up on some recipes for my next brew session and I have been coming across a lot that require the addition of part of the DME at "flameout." I did a search but couldn't really find a detailed description of exactly what flameout addition entails.

My guess would be that if I were doing a 60 min boil and the instructions call for 3lbs of DME at flameout, that I would add the additional 3lbs after the 60 minute boil when I turn off the heat, just prior to chilling the wort and pitching?

Sorry if it is a dumb question but money is tight right now and I don't want to screw up an expensive batch of beer by doing something wrong!

Secondary 2: Air
Kegged: Dankenstein Amber, Business Time IPA
Bottled: Country Cider, Peanut butter banana porter
On Deck: Rye IPA, Passion Fruit IPA, 100% Brett IPA
-=My Keezer Build=-

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2010, 11:06 PM   #2
BendBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Yeah that is what Flame Out Means. You would be fine adding the late DME addition anytime in the last 15 minutes of boil IMO. It's really not that critical.

Old 05-28-2010, 03:26 PM   #3
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2450 Times on 1726 Posts
Likes Given: 1404

This is called "Late Extract Additions" and some people prefer the results over boiling the entire amount of extracts for the entire time. It is supposed to help keep the beer from darkening too much. Extracts have a tendency to be darker than All Grain.

It will also change the flavor a small bit. And it will allow the hops to isomerize a bit more, so you may have to adjust the hops.

I would add it in during the last 15 minutes. This won't make a real impact on teh flavor of the beer, yet still provide for more sanitizing, and give you a few more minutes to prepare the chill if necessary.

Homer's Brew Log

Old 05-28-2010, 03:29 PM   #4
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
I would add it in during the last 15 minutes. This won't make a real impact on teh flavor of the beer, yet still provide for more sanitizing, and give you a few more minutes to prepare the chill if necessary.
Agreed. Even adding it in the last 5 minutes would be fine.

Quick Reply