noob 2nd batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmatty1984

Reaction score
i made a wherry as my first batch which turned out pretty good, but i did make a few mistakes. i want make a lager for my second batch, so which lager kits do you advise for a noob with basic starter kit equipment. Also would you advise puting campden tablets in the water because i will be using tap water.

Do you have the location or equipment to lager? Lagers need to be fermented cool and stored even cooler for lagering.

What is in your tap water? The type of sanitizing agent determines whether a campden tablet will help or not.

i was thinking of using a lager kit that doesn t use lager yeast so can be fermented at an higher temp, eg coopers austrailian lager. i used the vmp santizer last time but need buy some new sanitizer. im not really sure what type of water i have

There are some recipes out there that call for using a very clean ale yeast if you don't have colder temperatures to lager at, like a California ale yeast. You still want to ferment at the lower end of the range since you will get some more fruity esters at higher temps and it would not resemble a lager at that point.

i was thinking of using a lager kit that doesn t use lager yeast so can be fermented at an higher temp, eg coopers austrailian lager. i used the vmp santizer last time but need buy some new sanitizer. im not really sure what type of water i have

City water systems can use chlorine, chloramine, ozone, or some other chemical or method to keep the water safe for drinking. I think the campden tablet only helps for chloramine so if your water has one of the other methods for sanitation you wouldn't use it. Call the city water department and ask.

If you want to do a lager do a lager. Get your temp control set up and do it right. If you can not do that then it is still an ale.

Back