New to Sparging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kosch

Reaction score
So I'm getting ready to start my 3rd batch using a recipe I got from my lhbs (mirror pond clone). They are closed today, and stupid me, I was in a hurry and didn't ask them for help while I was there.

The first step is what I need clarification on:

Using 8oz of 45L Crystal Malt - crushed (I got from them, it's crushed and redy to go)

Add crushed grains to 1.5 gallons of cold water in the brew kettle. Over 20 to 30 minutes on medium-high heat gradually bring mixture to a boil. Remove grains from kettle and sparge (rinse into kettle) with 1 quart of hot tap water. Bring this grain tea to a boil, remove from heat (next step is adding LME and hop pellets).

So, do I just throw the crystal malt in a grain bag, bring to boil in the water, then take it out and basically pour 1 quart of hot tap water over the bag, into the kettle? I'm assuming I would just put the grain bag in a strainer or colander and pour through that?

Is it that easy or am I missing something?

Thanks!

Kosch
Any help would be appreciated! I was going to get this going tonight

So I'm getting ready to start my 3rd batch using a recipe I got from my lhbs (mirror pond clone). They are closed today, and stupid me, I was in a hurry and didn't ask them for help while I was there.

The first step is what I need clarification on:

Using 8oz of 45L Crystal Malt - crushed (I got from them, it's crushed and redy to go)

Add crushed grains to 1.5 gallons of cold water in the brew kettle. Over 20 to 30 minutes on medium-high heat gradually bring mixture to a boil. Remove grains from kettle and sparge (rinse into kettle) with 1 quart of hot tap water. Bring this grain tea to a boil, remove from heat (next step is adding LME and hop pellets).

So, do I just throw the crystal malt in a grain bag, bring to boil in the water, then take it out and basically pour 1 quart of hot tap water over the bag, into the kettle? I'm assuming I would just put the grain bag in a strainer or colander and pour through that?

Is it that easy or am I missing something?

Thanks!

Kosch
Any help would be appreciated! I was going to get this going tonight

Your directions stink!

You DON'T want to approach a boil with your grains! And it's not necessary to sparge them. You want to bring the water to 150-160 or so, and then steep the grains for 20 minutes. Do NOT let the steeping water and grains get higher than 170- 150 to 160 is ideal. You can simply turn the heat off, and cover the pot and let it sit for 20-30 minutes. Take out the grain bag and throw away the grains. If you want to pour water over them to do a sort of sparge, it won't hurt anything. Just lift up the grainbag and put it in a strainer and pour water (no hotter than 170!!!!!) over the grain. It's not necessary, but sometimes people like to do it to make sure they get out any flavor from the grains.

After you throw away the grains, add water to get to your boil volume (1.5 gallons sure isn't very much water- use more if you have room in your pot!), and bring that to a boil. Add the ingredients as directed from that point on.

Thanks Yooper, I was thinking they seemed a bit "off". I didn't follow my first two sets of instructions completely and modified them based on what I've read on here.

That's exactly what I needed to know, so thank you for the clear instructions on what to actually do! I didn't list it earlier, but they do say to add water to bring it to 3 gallons when adding the extract, I should have mentioned that.

I'm going to try and get this going here shortly, we'll see how it goes!

Thanks!

Kosch

Latest posts

Back