New brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigjason6

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I just got my Coopers diy beer kit delivered the other day. Really looking forward to getting started on it this weekend. Besides cleaning and sanitizing everything properly, does anyone have any hints or tips for getting through my first brew without a hitch? Thanks!

How are you planning on heating your water? If by your stove, is it an electric stove of a gas stove? I wished I had figured out the largest volume of water I could get boiling on my stove top prior to doing my first brew

I was just going to heat the water in a kettle like it says to in the instructions.

No a kettle won't work. It's been so long since I've done a kit. As a minimum you want at least 3 gallons and, as with anything beer, more is better.

I use a 20qt (5G) SS stock pot with 2.5 to 3 gallons of water for partial boils. You can boil the water for a few minutes,then take it off the heat & add the cooper's can & other fermentables. Stir till no more extract can be scrapped off the bottom of the brew kettle. Stainless steel & aluminum pots are the most commonly used. What's yours made out of?

I'm probably going to get myself a stainless pot. Thought about going cheap with aluminum but I'd like it to last a long time and I don't know if it would affect the taste in any way.

Back