New brew setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sicbrew2011

Reaction score
Just got a new brew set up from my uncle in law and was wondering what the best beer to start off with was? I have done small scale brewing but this is a 10 gallon per batch set up so this is new territory for me. I was thinking a pale ale but was not sure if this was the best start considering my brewing knowledge and experience. Any ideas??

All grain or extract? Either way, use a recipe for 10 gal and go for it.

B

I was thinking all grain but wasn't sure if that was the best start. Do you know of any good recipes for a pale ale?

Do a quick search for Sierra Nevada Pale Ale here on HBT. A really tasty brew that I've made a couple of times is Orfy's Hobgoblin - not a pale ale, but REALLY tasty. I love it and so does anyone else who tried it.

B

Ok cool I will check that out for sure! Any advice for the novice that I am at this haha? I know there is going to be a lot of trial and error while doing this. I just wanted to get something going that could be ready within the next couple of months because the uncle that gave this to me is sick and won't be around to much longer. I kind of wanted to give him one last beer before he goes if you know what i mean. You know as a thank you for passing on his passion to me and all the hard work he put into his setup that is now mine. Is there truly a foolproof brew out there that even a novice like me can't really mess up?

Ok cool I will check that out for sure! Any advice for the novice that I am at this haha? I know there is going to be a lot of trial and error while doing this. I just wanted to get something going that could be ready within the next couple of months because the uncle that gave this to me is sick and won't be around to much longer. I kind of wanted to give him one last beer before he goes if you know what i mean. You know as a thank you for passing on his passion to me and all the hard work he put into his setup that is now mine. Is there truly a foolproof brew out there that even a novice like me can't really mess up?

That's really sad. Perhaps you should find out what one of his favorite brews is, and you'll likely be able to find an extract kit that will be easy to make.

Or just tell us what his favorite brew is, and someone on here will undoubtedly find you an extract recipe.

His favorite is a lager...he has a recipe for one that he made but it is super complicated and requires a lot of fermenting time and I don't think the time frame will work considering the circumstances. Is there any that you may know about any that be a good substitute for a complicated lager?

Sorry to hear that. You might stick with partial grain-extract brewing. Get two 5 gal. Recipes ( that come with decent instructions) and brew away. Extract brewing will allow some wiggleroom. As farca a brew goes, try an IPA. That is what iwas told, because hops will likely cover up any mistakes i made!
Good luck, have fun... Sounds like he gave you a great set up. Enjoy it!

My advice?

www.howtobrew.com

1st edition is available to read free online. Start reading!

Edit: Missed the part where you said you've brewed smaller batches before. I'm sure you've read that, or something else before. My B

Lagers take a while and cold fermenting. As it sounds like you know. If he likes lagers, try a altbeer. I did one and it had a real clean finish, like a lager. But less steps

Sounds good I will check it out! Thanks for the help I appreciate it and will hopefully be posting frequently with questions and maybe in the future even answers haha.

You should show off your new set-up by posting some pics, and check out Biermuncher's centennial blonde recipe on this site, big hit at my house and the ingredients won't break the bank.

I know using your tap water as your water source isn't the best idea from what I have herd. What is a good type of water to use?

How to brew has a great section on water for all-grain brewing. If you are on city water you can email or call the water department/public works and get a detailed water report. I just sent an email asking for the ppm of all the things listed in palmer's book (Ca, Mg, So4, etc). That being said, if your water tastes ok, it will probably be fine to brew with.

sicbrew2011 - you should update your location. There are many helpful people here and many brewing clubs and I would bet you could get a hand to get you on the right track quickly.

Do you guys know where a good place to get supplies such as replacement parts and brewing supplies online where they don't charge an arm and a leg but still supply good product?

Stay (Sic) and keep the dream alive!

Tarheeltransplant said:
Oh, i saw a add for a company out of atlanta the charges flat shipping of like 6 dollars. Barley and vine is the name.

Are u sure it wasn't brewmasters warehouse all the details say yes

From what I can tell Midwest is the most reasonably priced. No flat rate shipping but they make up for it with better prices. As far as what to brew first maybe try something with enough flavor to hide any mishaps you might have dialing in your new system. Pale or IPA I would think.

I just brewed the nb cream ale kit . Real easy and fast brewed last Friday, kegging in about a week. They ate good and drinkable. :)

get a kolsch kit. they are fast, easy, and as much like a lager as you can get with an ale. ready in 3-4 weeks

Sorry to hear about your uncle.
I second Kolsch. This was what I'd brew for him if he likes lagers and you don't have cold lagering capabilities. Just make sure you get the freshest ingredients you can find.

Back