Nest step after beer kits?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtfang

Reaction score
I have brewed a few batches with the 'already assembled starter' beer kits from my LHBS. What would be the next logical step for me as far as brewing is concerned?

Build your own. If you are still doing extract, start with that, but mix up the steeping grains. If you are doing all grain, find a recipe and go for it.

Build your own. If you are still doing extract, start with that, but mix up the steeping grains. If you are doing all grain, find a recipe and go for it.

Excuse my ignorance. What exactly is extract and what exactly is all grain?

Extract is using the syrup bases and steeping grains for flavor and color. All grain is starting with the raw ingredients, performing the mashes to extract sugars and the like. Given your question, I'd assume you are extract.

I started doing Cooper's kits. Then I went to using the Cooper's cans with a 3lb bag of Munton's plain light DME & a couple ounces of flavor hops. Did a partial boil of 2.5 gallons with 1.5-2lbs of the DME for hop additions @ 20 & 10 minutes left in the boil. Then stirred in the remaining DME & the Cooper's can at flame out. Chilled the wort down to 75F or so,then used well chilled water to top off to recipe volume. I went to partial boil,partial mash brew in a bag after that. Maybe this will give you some insights...

You may want to try some of the recipes on this site. There are quite a few of them and although I have never brewed any exactly true to form, many are very close to what I brew so I'm certain they are good.

I am assuming you are talking about the kits that have the wort already prepared in a bag, and you have had to place in fermentation vessel, and add the yeast?

My progression went from a 2 liter pop bottle kit I received as a gift, to Coopers canned kits, to playing with hops and steeping grains added to the canned kits, to me making my own recipes with grains, hops, and either liquid malt extract or dried malt extract. I started two years ago and have 40+ brews logged. I am still learning constantly. My advice is read, learn, apply, and read, read, read. This forum has helped me immensely, and brew,brew,brew. I have had only one batch I had to dump, and that was laziness on my part. Good luck, its very addictive.

Only problem I have is I cant drink enough of my brews. I want to keep brewing, but pipeline is at max capacity(4 kegs, and 2 fermenters.

I have brewed a few batches with the 'already assembled starter' beer kits from my LHBS. What would be the next logical step for me as far as brewing is concerned?

The next step is reading "How to Brew", by John Palmer. He's made it super easy by posting the entire first edition online at www.howtobrew.com but the newest edition is worth buying for the updated information. It will teach you a lot about brewing and set you up for the next step.

Next step?, I was just asking myself the same question. I'd like to move into all-grain but I don't think I'm ready, so instead I decided to step into making my own yeast starters and creating my own extract recipes rather than buying my kits.

Hopefully when the weather warms up I can move toward all-grain and brew in the shade of the porch.

I went from extract kits straight to creating my own all-grain recipes (Admittedly I do cheat and review others' recipes).
Next up, get away from the dry yeast.

Back