Neglected to add sugar. Is it ruined?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

those_guys

Reaction score
I ordered this kit from MoreBeer.com. It's a Belgium Pale ale, liquid malt extract kit.

Brief attempt to pass the buck (feel free to skip)

If you read the instructions in the [Documents] tab of the link, they are sort of tricky to read for a first time brewer. Where I dropped the ball was on step 4, reproduced below.

4.Remove the grain bag and continue to heat the water to a boil. Turn the heat off and stir in, so it does not burn on the bottom, the liquid malt extract, dried malt extract (DME), dextrin powder, sugar and/or lactose as called for in the recipe. This solution is now called sweet wort (pronounced wert.) Note: Do not add the 4 oz, white bag of corn sugar; the sugar will be used two weeks from now during the bottling process.

Emphasis not added. You can understand my confusion, because my kit did not contain DME, dextrin powder, and lactose. So my eyes glanced over the "sugar" and then straight to "Do not add ... suagar. Furthermore, instructions were unclear of how much sugar should have been added. Given that had three bags of 4 oz of sugar, a simple line of "add 8 ounces of sugar" would clear things right up. No? I did have a recipe sheet but it was just a listing of ingredients. Not entirely helpful.

Do you agree or disagree with me that this instruction sheet wasn't written in user-friendly way?

Problem Solving

Plain and simple, my issue is that I did not add the required 8 ounces of sugar along with the LME. I did see bubbles for only one day and very little activity now. Can I toss in more sugar and yeast now (4 days later) or am I totally boned?

If you're still in the first few days of ferment, you can boil some water, dissolve the 8oz sugar in it, chill and slowly add it to the wort. At day four, you're probably still okay.

You need not pitch more yeast. Those that are there will handle 8oz of sugar just fine.

Airlock activity (or lack thereof) can sometimes be misleading. Let the yeast do there thing and check the gravity at the two week point.

Is it ruined? Absolutely not. It will still be beer, just have a lower % alcohol. You can also try what BigFloyd suggests, but either way, it's not ruined.

Back