New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > It Needs To Be Tossed.....Just Say It.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2010, 09:22 PM   #1
Skarekrough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Default It Needs To Be Tossed.....Just Say It.

So, I'm hanging onto my last shred of hope here.....

About a month ago I brewed one of Austin Homebrews Session Ales, their Scotch Ale.

It started pretty well. I put it in my basement and after a week it was at 1.020 and remained there for awhile. During this time we had our usual cold snap and the temp dropped and all activity just stopped.

I consulted with AHB and my LHBS and added a brewbelt and re-pitched yeast. After a week it finally hit 1.014.

I kegged and let it carb up. The taste has a strong band-aid flavor to it.

The only thing I can think of was that the beer was advertised as being a 10-day turn-around. Since it ended up fermenting in colder conditions than it probably should I was forced to use a brew belt and re-pitch after a few days of the belt. It was about a month in total to get it where it needed to be to keg.

I'm assuming that the yeast was stressed and this is the result. Does this sound correct?

Thanks.

Bear Hill Brewery - Get Mauled!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2010, 09:26 PM   #2
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...

Recipes 

Liked 479 Times on 294 Posts
Likes Given: 156

I never advise throwing a beer away.

That said. I have thrown beer away. Beer that tasted like band aids. Held on to it with hopes of improvement but it eventually tasted like band aids that were ripped off of a batch of hemorrhoids. That's when I tossed it.

Not that I'm advocating dumping your beer.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:26 PM   #3
azscoob
Here's the Beers!

Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Did the water you brewed with have chlorine in it? tap water will usually contain chlorine or chloride, both of which can cause a band aid off flavor.

Shirts n Steins: Grain Reaper Brewing

Old 12-21-2010, 09:26 PM   #4
dwarven_stout
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 6

"Band-aid" means phenols from either stressed yeast or an infection. Either way, I've had bandaid clear up to be drinkable. Not great, but drinkable. I certainly wouldn't recommend dumping any sort of beer only one month after brewing.

Edit: or as azscoob pointed out, chloramines in the water can give a medicinal bandaidy off flavor. If you've brewed with the same water previously and not experienced it, though, I'd lean more on the side of stressed yeast or contamination.

"I can't believe how many people think Air Lock is pronounced Hydrometer." -BigKahuna
"If you gave me a beer with placenta in it without telling me I would kick you in the nuts." -ODaniel
"We be in a big hurry for dope beer with much alcamahol and flavor, quality, balance, and aroma don't matter. We just wantz to be druck, u know?" -Yooper

Old 12-21-2010, 09:32 PM   #5
Skarekrough
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwarven_stout View Post
"Band-aid" means phenols from either stressed yeast or an infection. Either way, I've had bandaid clear up to be drinkable. Not great, but drinkable. I certainly wouldn't recommend dumping any sort of beer only one month after brewing.

Edit: or as azscoob pointed out, chloramines in the water can give a medicinal bandaidy off flavor. If you've brewed with the same water previously and not experienced it, though, I'd lean more on the side of stressed yeast or contamination.
It's not the water. I've used the same tap water for all my beers and none of them has this taste to it.

So, as far as "clearing up" is concerned. Is this just something I need to sit on for a month or two or a decade for it to subside?

Bear Hill Brewery - Get Mauled!

Old 12-21-2010, 09:40 PM   #6
weirdboy
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 386 Times on 312 Posts
Likes Given: 37

If I didn't need to use that keg again I'd just stick it in the corner and hope it clears up.

That said, I had band-aid flavor on one batch that I traced back to chlorophenols, that simply never went away. I kept the bottles for about 6-8 months and tried them every once in a while, but man they were nasty. In a last gasp effort I brought the rest to a party where they got consumed by a bunch of drunk people who normally drink BMC and thought they tasted great.

I changed my whole brewing process based on that experience so that I wouldn't get chlorophenols again.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:43 PM   #7
pikledbill

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Never throw out beer...although I too have been guilty of this in my past.

Revvy has a great story for why you should never throw it out. Do a quick search.

If it is due to yeast stress, they will re-absorb most of the nasties they dump...just give them some time to do it.

Good luck.

Pikledbill

BTW: remember this and taste it periodically...when it turns out fine, you will have a story to tell some day.

To be a philosopher is not merely to have subtle thoughts, nor even to found a school, but so to love wisdom as to live according to its dictates, a life of simplicity, independence, magnanimity, and trust. (Thoreau)

People who say "you cannot change the world" are full of crap because they are either too ignorant, or too lazy to try. NOTE: there are only two types of people: 1. Interested and 2. Uninterested, neither of which is stupid. Turn off the TV and get busy changing the world.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:54 PM   #8
BrookdaleBrew
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Did it contain Smoked Peat malt? I discovered that this can sometimes throw what can be interpreted as bandaid flavors.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:01 PM   #9
superjunior
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
In a last gasp effort I brought the rest to a party where they got consumed by a bunch of drunk people who normally drink BMC and thought they tasted great. .
thats how I get rid of my bad ones - never dump beer

Old 12-21-2010, 10:39 PM   #10
b33risGOOD
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Some people just cant let go, at best your beer will probably only be slightly drinkable after many many months, I personally would throw away my beer to make space to brew new, really awesome beer

but if you have the space and bottles, I guess it cant hurt to hold on.

Ive dumped 10gal before

Quick Reply