Need ASAP ? About pitching tonight

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveooph131

Reaction score
I normally chill the wort to 70's then let it sit a few hours in my fridge/fermented to get down to low 60's before pitching.

My fridge only dropped the wort to 68 after 24 hours bc the fridge is dying...I made a swamp cooler in the fridge to drop the wort temp. My question should I wait till morning to pitch or should I pitch a little warm. My concern is that I brewed yesterday afternoon and I've never Waited to pitch this long.

I've always pitched at/slightly below 70 (all 3 batches, so I'm no expert) and then cool down to proper fermentation temps. From what I understand, if you are using rehydrated dry yeast, the leap in temp from ~90-100 down to too low will shock the yeast. All in all, I've never had a problem (once again, only 3 batches in) pitching just below 70 and then cooling the inoculated wort down to proper fermentation temps.

Okay. Well, I don't see that there should be a problem pitching at 68 as long as the yeast and wort are at similar temps. As long as you get the temp down to your preferred fermentation temp (check the website for whatever yeast you're using) within about 12-24 hours (before fermentation starts) you should be fine.

Do you think I risk infection or something weird if I leave the beer 36 hours before pitching? I've noticed I pitch wrm with this wlp029 it has trouble dropping temp. So I fear a 70+ degree fermentation if I pitch tonight.

I think the risk of infection from putting off pitching is worse than the risk of off flavors from pitching in the high 60's. If you've got it in the swamp cooler, throw in some ice, chill down some water bottles in the freezer for the morning and pitch the yeast!

Back