My yeasties have built chimneys?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taylornate

Reaction score
So this is my first batch, the Irish Red Ale kit from midwest. I brewed on 1/10 and racked to secondary on 1/17. In the past day or two I've started to notice some small, scattered patches of normal looking CO2 bubbles. When I shine my flashlight just right, there appears to be a vertical column, kind of cloudy looking, beneath each patch. Every couple seconds I can see a small bubble rise through the column.

Now, there is a clear layer on top and a bunch of cloudy stuff underneath. I suspect that this is just the bubbles dragging the cloudy layer up with it.

Has anyone seen this before? Unfortunately, I'm not able to get a good picture.

man I think you are really over thinking what's going on.....STOP shining your flashlight in there.... Leave it alone. Bottle when it's ready and then enjoy. Your journey has just begun if your first beer is good then you 100th beer will likely be GREAT!

we here by induct you into the Vulcan Mind Melding Guild

you must hereafter maintain 1 - 2 hours of mind meld

with your primary every 24 hrs

that is all

:mug:

Yeah my 6th batch is my first with a Carboy I am kinda worried I am going to freak out over everything. But the 2 first batches were awesome! and the 3rd we don't talk about.

i put mine in my cooler cover and stick a therm to gauge temp. rarely look at it anymore.

It's hard not to peek in on them when they are being so industrious. If they build a city, I want to see it!

Admit it, you want them to see you so that they can proclaim you their god and build monuments to you.

This little flight of fancy is perfectly normal. All homebrewers share this hope of one day becoming a yeast deity.... right guys?......er...Guys?

So, if you notice your Yeast building monuments and statues in your honor...would you still rack it and bottle? Or would you wait until they develop outer-Carboy technology.

So, if you notice your Yeast building monuments and statues in your honor...would you still rack it and bottle? Or would you wait until they develop outer-Carboy technology.

I don't think it is godly etiquette to drink your worshippers. Buddah tried that once. It just made him fat.

250 batches in and I still have a visit with my bubbling carboys once every day or so. The thrill never goes away. And you only get marginally more patient as time and your pipeline moves on.

Now I can wait three weeks until I try my first bottle but it still isn't easy to do that.

Back