My First Batch!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackwhite75

Reaction score
Hey all. I got a kit for Christmas and the blonde ale that came with the kit is fermenting nicely. It came with 6lbs of liquid malt extract, but I did add another lb of light DME instead of using sugar as the instructions recommended.

It's been in the primary now for about 4 days, and am thinking about adding about 2-3 lbs of oranges in the secondary after two weeks in the primary. I'll probably get frozen oranges, but not sure how to sanitize them, or if they're already sanitized. Also, after the yeast are reactivated from the movement and sugars from the fruit, should I rack to another vessel to clear, or is it ok to bottle from that point? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to HBT. Sounds like you are well on your way to becoming as obsessed as the rest of us.
Sorry I can't help you with the fruit question, but I am sure someone will be along shortly who can.

Since this is your first batch I'd recommend saving the orange addition for a later batch. Its better to make sure you can make good regular beer before you start getting into additives. Welcome to the obsession!

welcome to hbt. as long as you clean the oranges there should be enough alcohol in the beer to kill off anything else. another option would be buying orange peel from your lhbs. or getting them the old fashioned way and clean well and stick in secondary. hope that helps. ferment well

-nick

Unfortunately I do not have a homebrew store where I live and I'm already obsessed. Just ordered the ingredients for my next batch and a 5gal glass carboy for my secondary along with an auto siphon.

I may just grab some oranges and just add the zest, so there's no way I can ruin it, or just wait until my next batch to make sure this batch turns out nice. I know I eventually want to make a strawberry wheat ale, but I'll probably add the berries to primary fermentation so I won't have to transfer so many times to clarify the beer.

I've added zest to some Belgian Wit recipes, and they are fabulous. Never added anything to the fermenting wort though. I'd skip the orange and just do the zest as you suggest. You'll get a hint of orange aroma and maybe some flavor, but it's probably the best method.

What's the best way to sanitize the zest before dropping it into the secondary?

Back