Is my beer infected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smbuckley

Reaction score
Just bottled an irish red ale and when i took a sample for a hydrometer reading i drank it and it had a faint taste of something similar to rubbing alcohol. I thought this to mean it is infected but i bottled it anyway. What r your thoughts?

Just bottled an irish red ale and when i took a sample for a hydrometer reading i drank it and it had a faint taste of something similar to rubbing alcohol. I thought this to mean it is infected but i bottled it anyway. What r your thoughts?

Sounds like you have some phenol alcohols usually from high fermentation temps

do you know temperatures that you are fermenting in? once fermentation starts the temperature can ramp up 5 degrees or more.

if this is the case it is perfectly drinkable. but i would watch fermentation temps in the future.

one of the biggest things to brew good beer is temperature.

It's possible it needed a little time to clean up. I tend to give everything 3 weeks to a month in primary just to let the yeast smooth everything out.

Back