Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2009, 07:11 AM   #971
Irish1225
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

this is great. i've made a couple batches with mr. beer (i'm pretty new to the trade) and went out and got 5 gal fermenters this week.

and i'm not ashamed to say i used mr. beer

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2009, 08:58 PM   #972
Irishman78
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orfy View Post
If you have no LHBS then the internet is the easiest.

What is your location?
Montgomery, AL and to my knowledge, nothing in the surrounding area that would have a LHBS, but I would love to be wrong...

I am also having a hard time finding corn sugar at any grocery or Fresh Market stores. Also, I bought a 3-pack of yeast packets from a grocery store. Should I assume each packet is roughly the same amount of yeast as the Mr. Beer yeast?

I know, lots of questions but I hoping to avoid some beginner mistakes before ever making them.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:04 PM   #973
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Okay.

1. really try to use all malt instead of sugar if you can. If you are using sugar and can't get corn sugar don't worry use table sugar. Just don't expect great beer and don't be put off.
2. I presume(hope) it's beer yeast not bread yeast.
3. you want 7-11g of yeast for a MR beer kit.

keep asking the questions.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:34 PM   #974
Irishman78
Recipes 

1. I have a refill on the way that is Linebacker Doppel Bock with Creamy Brown UME. I was thinking ferment for 14 days, then bottle and wait...how long? I know some people have said they will wait 2-3 weeks, try a bottle, then keep trying one each week to see how much better they get with time.

2. Good question on the yeast, but it was inexpensive so if it's wrong, I can easily replace it.

Primary #1: Oatmeal Tiger Stout
Primary #2: Rocket City Red
Secondary #1: Tuskaloosa IPA
Secondary #2: Alabama Pils
Mr. Beer Fermenter (4): All empty
Conditioning: Vulcan Butt Porter, Apfelwein
Refrigerating: Cherry Wheat Ale
Up Next: Apfelwein

Old 01-17-2009, 03:35 AM   #975
Pogo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Irishman78 -

I don't know much about Montgomery, but I'm betting that a town that size will have at least one LHBS, start asking around.

The packets of yeast from the supermarket are bakers yeast, not brewers yeast. Most frown on this subsitution.

Some health food stores carry dextrose (corn sugar), but are usually much higher priced than LHBS's.

You can cobble together 2, 3, 4, and 5 gallon fermentors by ferreting out suitable glass and plastic buckets and/or carboys, and fashion airlocks with rubber grommets, plastic tubing, and bottles partially filled with water.

But, brewing yeast, hydrometers, gravity test jars, drilled tapered stoppers (bungs), and commercial airlocks will only be found at LHBS's or on the internet.

NOTE: The capsules of Brewer's Yeast found in health food stores and pharmacies is the spent dregs from the fermentation process, and is not what you are looking for!

Pogo

Old 01-17-2009, 05:09 AM   #976
Irishman78
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo View Post
Irishman78 -

I don't know much about Montgomery, but I'm betting that a town that size will have at least one LHBS, start asking around.

The packets of yeast from the supermarket are bakers yeast, not brewers yeast. Most frown on this subsitution.

Some health food stores carry dextrose (corn sugar), but are usually much higher priced than LHBS's.

You can cobble together 2, 3, 4, and 5 gallon fermentors by ferreting out suitable glass and plastic buckets and/or carboys, and fashion airlocks with rubber grommets, plastic tubing, and bottles partially filled with water.

But, brewing yeast, hydrometers, gravity test jars, drilled tapered stoppers (bungs), and commercial airlocks will only be found at LHBS's or on the internet.

NOTE: The capsules of Brewer's Yeast found in health food stores and pharmacies is the spent dregs from the fermentation process, and is not what you are looking for!

Pogo
Well the good thing about the Internet is that it's available no matter where you live, as unfortunately, Montgomery, while decent in size and a capital city, does not have a LHBS. Hell we have only had draft beer for 5-6 years!

I have already ditched the yeast I bought - no big loss there. Also, I ordered some corn sugar off the net so it will be available for my next batch.

Question: When I added the wort to the fermenter and then added cold wate r to get to the 8.5 quart mark, it foamed up quite a bit. Normal?

Primary #1: Oatmeal Tiger Stout
Primary #2: Rocket City Red
Secondary #1: Tuskaloosa IPA
Secondary #2: Alabama Pils
Mr. Beer Fermenter (4): All empty
Conditioning: Vulcan Butt Porter, Apfelwein
Refrigerating: Cherry Wheat Ale
Up Next: Apfelwein

Old 01-17-2009, 08:36 PM   #977
dogfishandi
Recipes 

i just opened one of my WCPA after it was in the bottle for 2 weeks, fermented for 12 days and carbonated with coopers drops, and to be honest, it pretty much sucks. very little carbonation, almost no head, and it tastes more like apples and champagne. not too much different than how it tasted right out of the fermentor. there is a little bit of a beer taste, and the color is that of beer. i was going to wait atleast 3 weeks to drink, but i think maybe 4. if i wait longer will that apple tast go away? how has anyone elses WCPA tasted and looked after 2 weeks?

Fermentor-Hop Juice IPA
Bottle Conditioning-
Drinking- Palace Porter
WCPA

Old 01-17-2009, 09:24 PM   #978
ifishsum
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Irishman78: The foaming is good, you want good aeration of the wort before pitching the yeast.

dogfishandi: My first batch with Mr. Beer was the West Coast Pale Ale, made exactly per directions with the booster. I carbonated with sugar as they told me and it got nice and fizzy, but definitely had a cidery taste and a light beer taste at best. It got a little bit better after a couple of weeks, but the cider taste did not go away. It's a combination of too little malt extract and too much simpole sugars (the booster).

On subsequent batches I used 1 lb of extra light dry malt extract instead of the booster at Revvy's suggestion - the beer had much better flavor. Their deluxe recipes include 2 cans of extract instead of booster and those were better as well.

Primary 2: Edwort's Robust Porter
Secondary 1: LW Pale Ale
Secondary 1: Blackened Soul RIS
Kegged: Dead Guy Ale
Kegged: Rye Pale Ale
Kegged: Haus Pale Ale
Kegged: Nut Brown Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber
Kegged: Jock Scott Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber

Old 01-17-2009, 10:40 PM   #979
dogfishandi
Recipes 

i will be bottling my porter tommorow, i used 2 cans of malt extract, and 1/2 cup brown sugar, as well as 1/2 oz of goldings hops. i have much higher hopes for this one. however, back to the WCPA, i used one coopers carb drop per 12oz. bottle, and after 2 weeks the carbonation was very minimal. will carbonation improve after another week or so? also, with my porter should i prime with something else or use 2 drops?

Fermentor-Hop Juice IPA
Bottle Conditioning-
Drinking- Palace Porter
WCPA

Old 01-17-2009, 11:11 PM   #980
Thumper
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have never used carb drops before, but it seems that what I have read about them it would take more than one? Was one the recommend amount?. My first batch of WCPA has been bottled for one week. I haven't tried it yet. Like ifishsum I ditched the booster pack and used 1 lb of extra light DME. I also used nottingham yeast instead of what came with the MB kit. Waiting can not hurt and you beer should get better with time.

Good Luck.

Chisholm Trail Brewery

Quick Reply