Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2008, 06:44 PM   #141
flyboy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will21
Couple things

WCPA has been fermenting for 15 days in keg, will try and bottle sometime this week, might wait till 21 days actually.

tried some, had a flat taste but kind of cloudy. normal?

green beer is rarely yummy. It'll be flat because it hasn't carbonated yet. That happens after you add the priming sugar when you bottle or keg it. The cloudiness will clear up after it conditions several weeks. I usually wait at least 4 weeks after bottling it before I open it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2008, 08:20 PM   #142
GloHoppa
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostofdavid
I actually already did.
then kudos! any plans for what youre going to make next?

Primary: (empty)
Carboy: Apfelwein, aged 11 mo
Mr. Beer: (empty)
Bottled/Conditioning: (empty)

Planning: Belgian Pale Ale, Hop Harvest Ale

Old 01-16-2008, 12:37 AM   #143
ghostofdavid
Recipes 

Location: Formerly Cincinnati, OH; Currently Columbus, IN, Indiana

Yes. I purchased an extract kit from Listermans. Belgian White. I cannot wait!

Old 01-17-2008, 04:24 AM   #144
431brew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Braehaus...I made my first batch of West Coast Pale Ale and being patient was definitely the key.

I left it in the keg for about 10 to 14 days, then bottled. I put the bottled beer in a kitchen base cabinet and left it there for about a week, then chilled one beer. It tasted ok, but had the yeasty smell.

I waited a couple more days and chilled one more. It tasted much better. I waited a few more days, chilled one and it was great. So, I chilled the rest and have almost drank them all.

I think it was Yezzo that earlier said to double the time the instructions give. That is the key. On the net, I have read where alot of people did not like the West Coast Pale Ale that came with the kit. I loved it.....after I gave it some time to ripen!

Refill question for the brew vets.....

The shipping for a refill is almost as expensive as the refill (if buying one can) from Mr. Bill.com, so I bought a three-pack which ships for almost the same price as a single refill. All I wanted was one West Coast Pale Ale, but didn't want to pay $9 shipping for the $12 ingredients. So, I paid like $9.60 shipping and bought a three-pack, which did NOT have the WCPA in it, so that I could at least be busy for awhile.

At this point in my new hobby, I am happy with the simplicity of the Mr. Beer and the two-gallon batches....just not the shipping charges. Instead of using the refills from the website, are 5-gal kits available that I can buy, cut in half, and brew just as I did with the Mr. Beer kit......or maybe another brand of 2-gal kits? Looking for the same concept as the MB kits, just don't want to pay as much for shipping as I am for the ingredients.

Thanks.

Old 01-17-2008, 05:18 AM   #145
Kayos
disclaimers are sissy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Suggestion for the Mr. Beer folks...

Post a style you like...say WCPA.

Let me run a Beersmith program for you at 2.5 gallons.

Watch the total ost some to $15 er batch. That is how I graduated from MRB. Or even better, buy the Beersmith program and do it yourself. It is really fun. Here is an easy and fun one I used to make in my Mr. Beer keg/fermenter for example:

Type: Extract
Date: 9/15/2007
Batch Size: 2.50 gal
Brewer: Jake
Boil Size: -1.26 gal Asst Brewer: BK
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (2 Gallon)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 40.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: -
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.00 lb Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 85.71 %
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 14.29 %
1.00 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (60 min) Hops 29.1 IBU
0.75 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (30 min) Hops 16.7 IBU
0.75 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (10 min) Hops 7.9 IBU

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.044 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.053 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.014 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.23 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 5.08 %
Bitterness: 53.7 IBU Calories: 237 cal/pint
Est Color: 7.2 SRM Color: Color

Just boil for n hour and cool, then dump in the keg and add the yeast. This recipe costs $13.75 total. Kind of like a midway from overpriced Mr. beer to big boy brewing. If steeping is too scary, you can even leave out the carapils.

Lemme know if I can be of service.

Old 01-17-2008, 06:31 AM   #146
shafferpilot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 431brew
At this point in my new hobby, I am happy with the simplicity of the Mr. Beer and the two-gallon batches....just not the shipping charges. Instead of using the refills from the website, are 5-gal kits available that I can buy, cut in half, and brew just as I did with the Mr. Beer kit......or maybe another brand of 2-gal kits? Looking for the same concept as the MB kits, just don't want to pay as much for shipping as I am for the ingredients.
There are tons of 5 gallon kits out there. I use Brewer's Best myself when I don't have the time to do an all grain recipe. Anyways, the trick to splitting it up into two batches is with the liquid extract. Problem 1 is how on earth can you tell when you've poured out have of it. Problem 2 how do you store the remainder without it spoiling. You'll have to figure out the first one, 'cause I don't have any great ideas for you. The second, however, I can answer. sanitize the can before you open it, and once you get half of the syrup out, cover it with saran wrap and use a rubber band to keep it tight. Then put it in the fridge till your next brew day. Also, most of their kits involve steeping some specialty grains. In the kit is one steeping bag, so you'll have to get extras, or just use one of swmbo's used (clean) stockings for the second brew. The kits are around $30 a piece at my local brew shop.

A great man knows that he knows NOTHING

Old 01-17-2008, 10:24 PM   #147
Sunstealer73
Recipes 

I bottled my High County Canadian Ale after 10 days. It tasted okay, but had a peculiar smell. I am hoping that is just the yeast? Kind of a sour smell? I am going to leave it in the bottles for 14 days before chilling.

Jason

Getting started with Mr. Beer (I know, I know ...)

Primary: High Country Canadian Ale

Old 01-18-2008, 12:42 PM   #148
brauhaus

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunstealer73
I bottled my High County Canadian Ale after 10 days. It tasted okay, but had a peculiar smell. I am hoping that is just the yeast? Kind of a sour smell? I am going to leave it in the bottles for 14 days before chilling.

Jason
Time is your friend here.... let is sit and let the brew have a chance to carbonate and age a little more.

Fire/EMS of HBT.com

Old 01-18-2008, 12:45 PM   #149
brauhaus

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 431brew
Braehaus...I made my first batch of West Coast Pale Ale and being patient was definitely the key.

I left it in the keg for about 10 to 14 days, then bottled. I put the bottled beer in a kitchen base cabinet and left it there for about a week, then chilled one beer. It tasted ok, but had the yeasty smell.

I waited a couple more days and chilled one more. It tasted much better. I waited a few more days, chilled one and it was great. So, I chilled the rest and have almost drank them all.

I think it was Yezzo that earlier said to double the time the instructions give. That is the key. On the net, I have read where alot of people did not like the West Coast Pale Ale that came with the kit. I loved it.....after I gave it some time to ripen!
Awesome NEWS! I still have a lot of beer left over from my Mr.Beer, I'm going to transfer the 22oz. Mr.Beer bottles into just regular (sanatized) beer bottles. I'm thinking about giving a few six packs to co-workers.

I think the West Coast Pale Ale is rather good, for being my first brew, it's pretty damn good...

I'm excited to try a few more Mr.Beer recipes.

Fire/EMS of HBT.com

Old 01-18-2008, 11:33 PM   #150
431brew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks, guys, for the tips on the 5 gal ingredients, and Kayos, for the formula for converting to 2 gal.

I received my 3 pack today and am going to start brewing one of them tomorrow.

Braehaus, I am with you on that WCPA...it's good!

More tips on downsizing a 5 gal recipe to 2 gal are appreciated.

Thanks for this thread for those of us who are just starting and using MRB. It looks like most of the ppl here are real brewers, but at least you are helpful to us newbies. I once asked for some help with my inline muzzleloader on a muzzleloader board and got hammered. I didn't realize that I had posted it on a "traditional" muzzleloader board instead of a "modern" board. Glad that didn't happen here!

Quick Reply