The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2008, 06:18 AM   #101
GloHoppa
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan!
Why no hydrometer?
I only have a Mr. Beer kit (my real homebrew kit is being mailed from Midwest as we speak! ) and Mr. Beer isn't a fan of hydrometers..

As far as letting it sit, I think I will let it ferment another few days. I was going to bottle it before I went to NH for the debates/primary, but I'll just do them when I come back

thanks for the advice everyone!

Primary: (empty)
Carboy: Apfelwein, aged 11 mo
Mr. Beer: (empty)
Bottled/Conditioning: (empty)

Planning: Belgian Pale Ale, Hop Harvest Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2008, 01:28 PM   #102
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraeHaus
Patience...

I let my Pale Ale sit for 14 days, then bottled it (letting it sit outside the fridge for another 7 days) then I'll be letting it sit in the fridge for another 7-14 days before tasting.

I figured I'll sample some that have been in the fridge for 7 days, and then sample some at 14 to note the differences...

Right now Mr.Beer is happily fermenting Apfelwein, which currently smells good!
Putting them in the fridge and letting them sit won't do much good. Remember that carbonation needs the yeast to be active, and thus around 65-70 degrees. If you put them in the refrigerator that early, they are not likely to carbonate or mature well for that matter.

Old 01-03-2008, 01:50 PM   #103
brauhaus

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PseudoChef
Putting them in the fridge and letting them sit won't do much good. Remember that carbonation needs the yeast to be active, and thus around 65-70 degrees. If you put them in the refrigerator that early, they are not likely to carbonate or mature well for that matter.
so do you suggest letting them sit outside of the fridge for longer and only put them in the fridge to cool down before drinking?

I am one of those weird people that actually enjoy beer that is a little above room temp... ice cold beer doesn't do it for me.

Fire/EMS of HBT.com

Old 01-03-2008, 04:54 PM   #104
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Chilling stops the carbonation.
If you've primed correctly it will stop of it's own accord without chilling.
The only way to tell is to crack one or two and try.

Nothing wrong with warm beer, it's better than cold beer.

Old 01-03-2008, 07:28 PM   #105
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraeHaus
so do you suggest letting them sit outside of the fridge for longer and only put them in the fridge to cool down before drinking?

I am one of those weird people that actually enjoy beer that is a little above room temp... ice cold beer doesn't do it for me.
I only chill for when I'm about to drink. Everything else sits at room temperature. I don't drink cold beer either. I also don't care about settling/chill haze.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:37 PM   #106
FlyingHorse
Formerly Bike N Brew

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HT_Installer
Thanks im going to read that tonight. It looks real good because i have been looking for something like that so i can use the clone i found for the yuengling but i dont understand any of it at this point. My goal is within a few months have enough info so that i can make this with success.

Beer's Name: Cumberland Brews\' Yuengling Clone Style: Ale (American Premium Lager)
Original Gravity: 1.116
Final Gravity: 1.029
Alcohol content: 11.47%
Calories (per 12 oz.): 390
Total IBU (Bitterness): 52
SRM (color): 30

Ingredients: (portions for a 5 gal. batch)
0.66 lbs. Dextrine malt (cara-pils) All grain
0.66 lbs. Dextrine malt (cara-pils) All grain
0.33 lbs. American crystal 10L All grain
0.33 lbs. American crystal 10L All grain
3.5 lbs. Amber Malt syrup
3.5 lbs. Amber Malt syrup
3 lbs. DME (Amber)
3 lbs. DME (Amber)
1 oz. Cascade (pellet% AA) Boil time 60 min.
1 oz. Cascade (pellet% AA) Boil time 60 min.
0.5 oz. Cascade (pellet% AA) Boil time 30 min.
0.5 oz. Cascade (pellet% AA) Boil time 30 min.
0.5 oz. Cascade (pellet% AA) Boil time 5 min.
0.5 oz. Cascade (pellet% AA) Boil time 5 min.
1 oz Irish Moss
1 oz Irish Moss
0.42 oz. Edme Ale Yeast Yeast (Ideal ferm. temp: 65-75°F)
0.42 oz. Edme Ale Yeast Yeast (Ideal ferm. temp: 65-75°F)
Directions:
Steep grains to 170-180 degrees F. Swish well & remove bag, allow to drain, DO NOT SQUEEZE BAG! Bring wort to boil and add extracts as normal. Boil time is 1 hour. Add hops as shown. Add Irish moss last 15 minutes of Boil.

Although this recipes is utilized to be fermented as an ale, it is called a \"Lager\" clone since it tastes darn near like Yuengling.

Keep in mind-
I don\'t know what is up with this recipe generator but CARA PILS should be grains.
The yeast should be 1 pack of SUPERIOR. I forget the weight of the yeast, but it is one pack.

Color should be closer to 9.08 °SRM (it\'s not nearly as dark as shown on this page)

here is a link if what i posted doesnt make sence.
http://www.homebrewhome.com/recipe.p...ipe=139&view=1

After some more digging i found what i was looking for....

http://homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=48466
This recipe will be NOTHING like Yuengling.

First of all, it looks like someone double-entered every ingredient (1.116 OG?! 11.47% ABV ? ). Second, Cascade hops are NOT what you want in this beer, unless you like your Yuengling with a shot of grapefruit juice.

Your best bet may be to order a kit, like Annapolis Homebrew's Pennsylvania Lager: http://www.annapolishomebrew.com/shoprecipekits103.asp

None of the other major online HBS seem to have a similar kit, but you might call them (or your LHBS) and ask them what they suggest.

Last edited by FlyingHorse; 01-03-2008 at 08:39 PM.
thewinner Likes This 
Old 01-05-2008, 07:18 PM   #107
SoundGuyNick
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My apologies if this has been answered before...

Through a stroke of weirdness I've ended up with two Mr. Beer kits! I'm going to be brewing the West Coast Pale Ale later today (probably with the recommended honey addition), but I'd really like to try the Apfelwein recipe I've seen in these forums. I know a lot of people use their Mr. Beers to brew that - can anyone give me the recipe scaled down to Mr. Beer size? Also, is there any difficulty in bottling the Apfelwein? Can it be served straight from the Mr. Beer or is that a terrible idea?

Old 01-05-2008, 08:42 PM   #108
Monk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundGuyNick
My apologies if this has been answered before...

Through a stroke of weirdness I've ended up with two Mr. Beer kits! I'm going to be brewing the West Coast Pale Ale later today (probably with the recommended honey addition), but I'd really like to try the Apfelwein recipe I've seen in these forums. I know a lot of people use their Mr. Beers to brew that - can anyone give me the recipe scaled down to Mr. Beer size? Also, is there any difficulty in bottling the Apfelwein? Can it be served straight from the Mr. Beer or is that a terrible idea?
I've brewed the apfelwein in the mr. beer and served straight out of it, no problem. It is probably better tasting if you were to let it condition for a while, in bottles or something, but it's do-able.

You may want to simply use both Mr. Beer pale ale cans in one brew. The pale ale they make is not very hoppy to begin with, and not very high alcohol. I've done this and it came out nice. The reason I suggest this, is that honey usually takes longer to ferment, and leaves no unfermentable sugars behind. So the mouthfeel of the resultant beer will be much thinner and have a particular flavor in it. (I don't really like that flavor myself.) Just another option for you.
Good luck!
monk

Old 01-05-2008, 09:45 PM   #109
SoundGuyNick
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk
You may want to simply use both Mr. Beer pale ale cans in one brew.
hmmm - so just pour both cans in, leave everything else the same? It sounds like a plan to me.
Old 01-06-2008, 06:08 PM   #110
Orfy
For the love of beer!

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Jamil the Author, podcaster and award winning home brew was sat between Jonn Palmer and Charlie Papazian signing books and thkinging.

"How did I get here from Mr Beer!!!"

He and many others started with Mr Beer.
(So did I)

Quick Reply