(more) kraeusen after 12 days... RDWHAHB?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uncleozzy

Reaction score
I pitched a 1qt. starter of WLP008 (East Coast Ale) into a 1.050ish wort on 10/25 (Austin Homebrew's Our Special Holiday Ale kit, extract), and after 7 days it was at 1.020 with nothing but a few large clumps of yeast hanging out on top.

I took another look at it yesterday, and it's still at 1.020, but now there's a layer of what appears to be kraeusen on top. About an inch of tan foam, small bubbles. Sample tastes fine (as fine as green spiced beer can taste :cross:), no smell except beer and sweet spices from the bucket.

I'm not going to worry too much if it finishes at 1.020 (I'd rather it dried out, but it is what it is), but is this actually kraeusen? Did I wake the yeast up when I took the first reading? It's been at 68F most of the time, although it did drop to 65 or so on the 3rd or 4th day.

I was planning on leaving it 3 weeks in primary anyhow, but now I'm thinking I might have to plan for a little more time. Any thoughts? Thanks!

you could have disturbed the yeast enough to get it active again, let it do its thing, check on it in a few days, take another gravity reading, see if it's going down again.

Even small increases in temperature can kick the yeast back up also.
More likely, your yeast are just going through another phase of their cycle and this is what I call "cleaning up".
Just because the yeast have converted all the sugar they can to alcohol, does not mean the beer is done, the little workers are still active and doing what they do so well, give them more time to finish the job.

Thanks for the sanity check, folks. I haven't looked at it since Thursday, but since I was planning on bottling next Saturday, I'll take a reading on Wednesday and see how it looks. Hopefully it will have fallen (again)...

Well, I took another reading tonight (18 days), and there's still a small layer of bubbly stuff on top. It's not any drier (still 1.019-1.020), so I'm guessing it's just done. From the pics I've seen of infections, it doesn't look like one, and the beer tastes fine (actually much better than last week, and certainly quite a bit clearer). Maybe it's from all the spices and hop trub in there? I'll probably bottle it this weekend if I have time.

Back