Mixing corny kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've inherited a single pin-lock corny keg, CO2 tank, and regulator.

If I want to set-up a dual tap system and tower, is there any downside to getting a ball lock corny as the second keg?

I'm scrounging craigslist for whatever is available.

Thanks!

No problem with that. Just be sure to use MFL disconnects so that you can easily swap out disconnects when changing kegs.

Edit: I just re-read your post and picked up that you will have two kegs for a two tap system. In that case, MFLs are not absolutely necessary, but I'd use them anyway. It'll be especially useful when you inevitably figure out later that you're going to want more than 2 kegs for your 2 tap system.

2 kegs for each of my 3 taps has worked pretty well for me, especially since I'll often cold-condition a lager 6-8 weeks in the keg. An empty tap is a very sad tap.

+1 on the MFL disconnects. They help make cleaning much easier too.

It will not hurt to have a mix of types, it is preferred to stick with one type for the sake of not having to change out quick disconnects. Honestly though, if the beginning of my keg collection was a gifted pin lock I would just have stuck with pin lock kegs. They tend to be cheaper. Additionally, you could always buy new posts and switch your pin lock over to ball lock if you are dead set on ball.

My collection consists of ball locks and a couple inherited sixtel sankeys.

Back