Missread hops amount

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ftrombley

Reaction score
Good Day,

I have a question and am kind of ashamed to ask, but here goes. I brewed a batch of Kolsch yesterday, 2.5 gals from an online recipe of 5 gal. When adding the hops, I used the full 5 gal amount instead of halfing the amount. The IBU was supposed to be 27 and mine came out 80. Is there anything I can do to save the batch. It's now ferementing at 73 F. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks and have a nice day.

Fred

At what points in the boil/fermentation did you add the hops?

I'd bet that you'll be just fine. I'm a hop fan anyway, so I wouldn't even sweat it.

Thanks for the quick replies. Hops were added at boil for 90 min, 75 min and at 10 min. Maybe I'll just drink the hoppy beer. Thanks again

Yeah it's just going to be significantly higher in hop taste/aroma. I don't know about you, but i might even consider that an improvement! :p

also if anyone asks it's an English ESB :p

I'm not a hophead, If it were me, I'd bottle it and give it away at the homebrew meeting.

+1 to a bitter beer with strong hop aroma

When ever I make a mistake like adding using the wrong malt to goofing up the hops I get pissed at myself and then move on. I've never had a brew where I messed it i[ and it did not come out drinkable.

Once it turned out GREAT.

People are (once again) confusing bittering and hop flavor/aroma. There won't be much difference in the flavor/aroma, but tripling the IBUs could be a major issue in a Kolsh. There isn't much you can do, unless you want to add water and extract to 5 gallons.

Dogfish head has a beer they call in Indian Brown Ale, I guess this could be called an Indian Kolsch?

Jusst a quick note, the brew was supposed to be a Kolsch Ale.

Right. Like I said, if it isn't brewed for a competition, smurf it. And even if it was for a competition, just brew another batch and still save this to see what it is like. Even if you don't like it, I bet you can find a hophead that will.

Back