milled grain storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

afio18

Reaction score
Is it a good idea to store milled grain in the Freezer. I was going to brew this weekend but had somethings come up and won't be able to for a couple of weeks. Any help would be great.

Keeping it dry is most important. So if you're confident that it's protected from the moisture and vapor in the freezer, no problems. If it's not vacuum sealed, a cool, dry cabinet is probably a better bet.

I freeze mine. Ideally, it should be sealed, but most freezers are very dry and for a few weeks your grain will be fine in a plain freezer bag.

I've had mine in the kegerator for the last week. I got it from Midwest and its just in a plastic bag with a twist tie. I was gonna brew tomorrow. I hope its not ruined, that would suck...

I have mine in a drawer with some cottonballs to try to keep the moisture down. Been about a month... still seem pretty fine.

Back