Mash out?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChandlerBang

Reaction score
Aeration above 80 degrees is a problem, right? So how do I drain the wort from the Mash Tun into the boiling kettle? Do I need to use a hose to go from the ball valve to the kettle like when siphoning? Will the regular siphon hose handle 153 degree wort and even warmer when sparging?

Aeration above 80 degrees is a problem, right? So how do I drain the wort from the Mash Tun into the boiling kettle? Do I need to use a hose to go from the ball valve to the kettle like when siphoning? Will the regular siphon hose handle 153 degree wort and even warmer when sparging?

Yes, a hose will do it. Not only does it keep the wort from splashing, but it works as a siphon to "pull" out the wort under the false bottom.

I recommend using a silicon hose.. you can boil them even without a problem. Since I got a silicon hose I haven't even considered using other materials for hoses... they're about 4x the price of vinyl but last a LOT longer and can actually really be cleaned in boiling water.

Absolutely use a hose. I have never had a problem with vinyl but if silicon lasts longer I could certainly see an advantage.

Back