Magic Chef 3.5 cu ft mini fridge for fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I purchased one almost exactly like that from craigslist for a few bucks. I knew it was too small for a 6.5 gallon bucket. The overall modification was a pain in the behind. I suggest you choose a larger fridge or cruise craigslist for small commercial beverage coolers, used, from store displays.

In any event, take a bucket or bottle with you to test the fit when you look at a small refrigerators.

This is what I discovered and how it was sort-of fixed.
1.The freezer compartment extends downward and may interfere with a tall bucket. That freezer shelf contains the cooling coils At least one person posted that they carefully bent down the compartment and made room. I did not try this.
2. The bottom is not flat- there is a bump-out shelf from the back that contains the compressor. The actual floor space is about 8x16 inches.
3. The shelves on the door protrude inwards and take up "bucket space"

This is how I resolved the problems. I extended the depth by adding a 2" x 3/4" wood frame around the front of the fridge, re-mounting the hinges to the wood, and removing the door shelves. The ugly door insulation was covered with a sheet of thin aluminum I had around. The magnetic seal on the door would not function on the wood frame. I fastened magnetic strip, like you use for refrigerator magnets, around the frame.

SAMS Club in Hawaii sells a black fridge that has no freezer. But I think it still would be to small for a 6.5 gal bucket w/air lock. Perhaps you could fit it in w/a blow off tube. Why not use a 5 gallon bucket and do 4 gallon brews? Of course if you are doing kits that would be a problem. :)

I bought a Magic chef 4.6 cubic ft off craigslist, I took the gasket and inside door panel off, replaced the gasket, this fridge can maintain temps of 27° with a 6 gallon carboy in it.
I cannot fit a fermenting bucket in it, but when I ferment my lagers, I ferment in a 6 gallon carboy with a blow off tube, and still have room to hold a 6 pack or so in it.
Best part...it only cost me $35.

Back