A lot of hops in the carboy, did I mess up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ukdkbr

Reaction score
I did a Honey Wheat extract recipe 8 days ago, my first return to brewing in about 2 years. In this batch I had quite an active fermentation going and had a fair amount of blow off, this is the first time that I've ever had that happen to me. I noticed that while it was blowing off and subsiding it caked the top of the carboy with what I could only imagine is bits of hops. A few days ago I took a gravity reading (beer is about done!) and I tasted a bit of my sample. It tasted like a wheat beer but I noticed that it seemed really hoppy. I had to go out and buy a new strainer this time and I'm beginning to think that maybe it wasn't fine enough to strain all the bits of hops out (I used pellets). By having some of that left over hops in the beer while it's fermenting, will that change the hoppy-ness of the the beer?

Let it age a little. It's perfectly normal. That bitterness will fade a bit as the beer matures. It doesn't sound as if you did anything wrong.

straining or not straining out the hops will have no effect on the flavor. All the extraction from the hops was done in the boil. Whatever hop oils are made a liquid and can't be strained out. So really no worries. If the beer is really hoppy then adjust the recipe and don't strain.

straining or not straining out the hops will have no effect on the flavor. All the extraction from the hops was done in the boil. Whatever hop oils are made a liquid and can't be strained out. So really no worries. If the beer is really hoppy then adjust the recipe and don't strain.

That's what I was hoping for, I was hoping the boil is what did all the work! Thanks!

Back