lazy airlock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cassiel

Reaction score
Hey homebrewers,
I've got a saison d'ete going right now, with a two week primary fermentation, followed by a two week bottle condition. This is the beginning of week 2 for the fermentation, and the airlock has appeared to stop bubbling. Should I be transferring it early, or leaving the extra specified week? Temps are all fine, etc.

Thanks!

Two weeks isn't long enuff. Take a gravity reading. Then take one in two days. Do this until you have the same gravity two readings in a row. If it's been less than three weeks when this happens, leave it and bottle after three weeks. If it's been over 3 weeks, bottle whenever you've reached FG.

Leave it. Airlock activity is not a good indicator of fermentation. I would take the gravity readings around 14 & 17 days then as Nordeast said, bottle at 3 weeks or just be patient and wait. Some bulk conditioning will really help the quality of the beer.

Leave it. Airlock activity is not a good indicator of fermentation. I would take the gravity readings around 14 & 17 days then as Nordeast said, bottle at 3 weeks or just be patient and wait. Some bulk conditioning will really help the quality of the beer.

True story! :mug:
Waiting's the hardest part of brewing, but it's also very important. Good beer takes a bit of time to come into it's own. You can yield good results when you rush (sometimes), but the results of properly fermenting your beer are far superior, and I know I quickly learned well worth waiting for!

Back