lauter tun construction

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeasty

Reaction score
i noticed that my cooler i purchased for a lauter tun has an issue. when i removed the water plug at the bottom liquid can access the foam in the middle. where the hole is cut for drainage there is the exterior plastic layer and the interior with no sealant where the foam cavity is. i could permanently attach the copper drain i bought but it would be harder to clean...... i am worried if i leave it the way it is i will get wort into the foam and a nice bacteria growing. what have you guys done to combat this ???

not a member so i cant post a pic but i think you understand what i mean. the factory drilled hole is not sealed so that the foam wont get wet. i guess i will permanently attach the bulkhead fitting so liquid wont penetrate the foam and deal with cleaning the ball valve while installed.

Most coolers have a rubber grommet that seals that inside hole. Did it come off with the spigot? If this is gone, the soft silicone o-ring idea presented above would work great.

yeah its got the rubber grommet. i just noticed that it still allows liquid to get past the seal when you are cleaning, if its not tight enough, or you are sloppy.

I use a neoprene washer inside mine. It gives a larger surface area contacting the MLT and is leak-free. Place it inside the tun against the cooler wall over the nipple, then a silicone O-ring, then a steel washer, then the collar. You can find the washer (called a "fender washer") at Home Depot in the specialty drawers in the nuts/bolts aisle.

Another thread on HBT discusses using a silicone nipple from a baby bottle, FWIW.

Careful with those fender washers. Any that are on the INSIDE of the tun should be stainless steel, not zinc plated (they should be so labeled). I had to get mine at Lowes (the Home Depot in my area doesn't carry SS ones).

Careful with those fender washers. Any that are on the INSIDE of the tun should be stainless steel, not zinc plated (they should be so labeled). I had to get mine at Lowes (the Home Depot in my area doesn't carry SS ones).

Agreed. These "fender washers" are neoprene rubber, not metal. The washers holding everything snug (I have two on the inside to ensure a tight fit) are stainless, from bargainfittings.com.

you shouldn't be disassembling the drain once assembled. It does not need to be pulled apart and cleaned. Everything here is going to be boiled for an hour.

Most of us just spray the tun with hot water and let it dry. no real 'cleaning' going on.

you shouldn't be disassembling the drain once assembled. It does not need to be pulled apart and cleaned. Everything here is going to be boiled for an hour.

Most of us just spray the tun with hot water and let it dry. no real 'cleaning' going on.

ok ! well that solves it then !

Back