Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Lagunitas ipa clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2011, 02:47 PM   #31
NOISEpollution
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wranglerx16
Ok, as long as its fine since I transferred to secondary. No rush. Ya I tried it, wasn't to bad. I guess not what I expected..

And yea I was guessing that's what Zero minutes was but I didn't want to add it after the moss
Yeah. You can transfer to secondary as soon as you're sure that fermentation is done. That should take about a week. Then keep it in secondary for about two weeks. Or you could just keep it in primary for three weeks.

What tasted different about it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2011, 04:12 PM   #32
wranglerx16
Recipes 

Ok ya I had it in primary for 2.5 weeks.. I read u can skip secondary but I decided to transfer and try it. I think just the fact that it isn't carbed yet and it's so new, I'm hoping it will inprove

Old 12-23-2011, 05:49 PM   #33
NOISEpollution
Recipes 

Quote:
Ok ya I had it in primary for 2.5 weeks.. I read u can skip secondary but I decided to transfer and try it. I think just the fact that it isn't carbed yet and it's so new, I'm hoping it will inprove
The main reason people use a secondary is because rumor has it that if you leave the beer on the yeast cake for too long you'll get some off flavors. Apparently, that's not true. I do it anyway because I find that my beers end up a lot clearer after secondary and I get a lot less sediment in my bottles. It's your preference but a good reason NOT to do it is that you'll lose a little bit of beer during the racking problem.

Are you tasting any noticeable off flavors or does it just taste flat/watery? By now your beer should taste pretty close to what it's supposed to. Not exactly like it but you should be able to get a general idea of the taste. After a few weeks in the bottle it will carbonate and the beer will clean up a lot.

Old 12-29-2011, 01:03 AM   #34
wranglerx16
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOISEpollution View Post
The main reason people use a secondary is because rumor has it that if you leave the beer on the yeast cake for too long you'll get some off flavors. Apparently, that's not true. I do it anyway because I find that my beers end up a lot clearer after secondary and I get a lot less sediment in my bottles. It's your preference but a good reason NOT to do it is that you'll lose a little bit of beer during the racking problem.

Are you tasting any noticeable off flavors or does it just taste flat/watery? By now your beer should taste pretty close to what it's supposed to. Not exactly like it but you should be able to get a general idea of the taste. After a few weeks in the bottle it will carbonate and the beer will clean up a lot.
its a little rough.. has a bite to it. not exactly how to word it. but more flat/watery. im gonna try and bottle it in few days or so.

thanks so much for your input.

Old 12-29-2011, 03:22 PM   #35
NOISEpollution
Recipes 

Quote:

its a little rough.. has a bite to it. not exactly how to word it. but more flat/watery. im gonna try and bottle it in few days or so.

thanks so much for your input.
If it's flat then obviously that will fix itself after a couple of weeks in the bottle as it carbonates. Be sure when you prime it that you use the appropriate amount of priming sugar. Look up desired volumes of CO2 for your particular style on Google and then enter it into a priming sugar calculator. That will tell you exactly how much priming sugar to use by weight (always measure by weight). You're going to want to mix the sugar with just enough water to dissolve the sugar. Probably a cup or so. Bring that to a boil and turn off the heat when it starts to boil. Let it sit and cool then add it to your bottling bucket and siphon. You may want to very slowly stir it with your sanitized brew spoon after the siphoning process to make sure it mixes evenly but stir VERY slowly. Too hard and you'll oxidize your beer and ruin the batch. Good luck.

Quick Reply