Krausen in the airlock . . .

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Halldawg

Reaction score
Made a 6 gal (instead of my normal 5gal) pale ale AG with White Labs 01. Used a starter. On day 2+ now and going like mad. Did not use blow off tube (because I have never needed to in the past) and now have krausen in the airlock. Need to worry? Do anything?

You probably want to get a blow off tube on there fast. Eventually the krausen will clog the airlock leading to an experimental way to paint the ceiling.

I've done 2 batches where I had krausen blowing thru the airlock. My airlock hole is small bore, not suitable for blow-off tube so I just let it blow thru the airlock and didn't have any problem. Clean & sanitise the airlock when it settles a bit, check that it doesn't clog and should be ok.

Had the same problem but i didnt take care of it when i saw it. And i did paint my ceilin with a little bit but its still going stron after cleaning up and resanitizing.

Back