Kitchen Faucet Aerator Q.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KDM

Reaction score
I no sooner got into HB'ing than I bought and began using one of those adapters to hook a garden hose to the kitchen faucet. After using it a couple times the aerator leaked from its threads after reinstallation, making a miniature lawn sprinkler imitation every time I hit the water and hosing down the general area. Oh well, I was needing a new one anyway, so I replaced it and problem solved . . . until I removed and replaced it a couple times in the course of getting batch no. 2 underway. Now it's doing the same thing and it's brand new.

Plumbing is one subject I just don't know $#!^ about. Anything I can do besides buy a new aerator after every batch, or stop using one altogether?

I thought about that, actually, but the threaded width is like 1/16" and the tape's more like 1/2" wide?

What is the adapter made of SS or plastic? If it's plastic, replace it with a SS one. If it's SS, it should have a flat washer in it that forms a seal when you screw it on to the faucet. If you lose the washer, it will leak. I know, because I lost mine a couple weeks ago, but that was after more than 15 years of use.

-a.

The aerator is where the prob is. In other words, when I return my kitchen faucet to the configuration of a normal, typical, everyday kitchen faucet it sprays water all over creation, leaking through the threads where the aerator screws into the faucet. I was mostly curious to see if this was a common ailment among HB'ers, and if so, what they might do about it.

As for the wort chiller, remember I don't know squat about plumbing. I just went to the hardware store and told the fellas I wanted to go from 3/8" copper tubing to a garden hose. They fixed me up with a compression fitting, an adapter, and a fitting the garden hose can screw into. It went together easily using teflon tape on the adapter threads, and doesn't leak at all. That was for the water inlet; the outlet was ultimately left plain, and squirts well clear of the wort. And boy, does that sucker ever work! Down to ~78 degrees in ten minutes, wow!

Back