Keg Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

busta98

Reaction score
SO I see alot of debate of what kegs are made either 304 SS or aluminum. Is there a definitive way to tell? I got a Coors keg and would to find out what its made of. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I always thought aluminum produced off flavors. I've been reading thats a myth though cause I see alot of people use aluminum brew kettles. Thoughts?

There is a lot of debate about aluminum boil kettles.

The bottom line is that a lot of us use it and do fine. I don't, but would.

300 series Stainless is not magnetic. 400 is. A magnet shouldn't stick to 304. Use the scratch test. Either way, you'll get a lot of discussion as to which is better, but there is a lot of evidence (a really good sticky on this site) that shows the old myth about aluminum at low pH being related to brain issues (back before Alzheimer's was defined) as not supported. Taste is another issue and mostly opinion (certain people probably really are more sensitive to residual flavors than others).

If you turn the keg over and look at the bottom it should say 304 or whatever it is made of. Atleast mine do.

If a magnet sticks just a little then it has to be stainlesss. Aluminiun won't stick at all.

Back