K-cup in brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm looking at a 1 gallon kit from Brooklyn Brew Shop and they include grains with it. The one I was looking at is the chocolate and donut stout recipe pack and it suggests adding coffee to it. I have some chocolate glazed donut K-cups, has anyone ever cut one of these open and used it in brewing? I've only done a couple of extract kits and i stuck to the recipe and have never added anything in before.

You are thinking of dumping the k-cup contents into the mash? If so I don't see any reason this could be a problem...

As jrobidoux said - adding to the mash shouldn't be an issue. You could also do it near the end of your boil (go too long and you'll get a lot of bitterness.) Either way I'd recommend making some cold brewed coffee (with fresh grounds in this case - k-cups aren't always the best) and adding at bottling. That will give you a great coffee aroma. Good luck!

NO DON'T!!! Coffee beans are crazy! Seriously. They have all sorts of attributes that you don't want in your beer. Think about it. A coffee machine doesn't pass boiling water over the grinds. It's just shy of boiling. And it's only momentarily, otherwise you get bitter, off and crazy burnt flavours. You are better off brewing a pot of strong coffee (the brew will extract the oil and essence from the coffee and leave the bitter cruddy ground stuff behind) and you will get the flavours you want. I have a recipe for a coffee porter that always go over well. I use a Bialetti to make 4 cups of espresso that I add to the wort. That will give you much more predictable results than just pitching the coffee grinds and hoping for the best.

V

Latest posts

Back