JusUsing refractometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eppo

Reaction score
Just picked up a refractometer to replace my broken hydrometer. I keep getting high readings. Today I got 1.032 (9%) on my belgian dubel. Used friends hydrometer, and got 1.014. Any idea what I could be doing wrong?

Alcohol skews the reading on the refractometer. They're great for measuring the OG (in Brix) for non-fermented wort, but once alcohol is in there, the readings get miscalculated. You can use a "refractometer correction table" like they have in Beersmith, but even that isn't 100% accurate. I use a refractometer for gravity readings for wort, but after fermentation has begin (with beer or wine), I use a hydrometer.

Very good. my numbers before and after make more sense now.
Thanks!

I have used this with over 10 different beers and compared to my hydrometer and it has been within a point everytime.

Would you be willing to send me your data? PM, email, contact form on the site, whatever works for you. Thanks!

Sean

I use an app for my android phone called brewzor that does the grunt work like this!

I use a hydrometer to check SG and FG.(to calculate ABV mostly) I use the refractometer to check SG and where the fermentation is. If the Brix is the same for 3 days I figure it is done. I ferment for at least 3 weeks and don't even touch the beer for the first 2.

My experience says a refractometer is very error prone. On mine the readings are not repeatable often enough to trust it, whether unfermented or fermented wort. So I do the OG with a hydrometer and the FG with a hydrometer. I use the refractometer occasionaly in between. If you would have asked I would have recommended against buying it. JMO. :drunk:

Back