Just tasted my AHS Pumpkin...ehhh it's ok

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h22lude

Reaction score
I left it in primary for 4 weeks or so. I didn't make a starter and my temp controller wasn't the best.

I just kegged it about a week ago so it still needs another week or two in the keg.

Still tastes kind of young and not very spicy as I hoped. I'm hoping another week or two in teh keg will help bring out some more spice. If not, should I just leave it be and make note of it or can I had a cinnamon stick or two?

I just saved a growler so I am going to start making starters and hopefully be able to keep temps within a few degrees. Hopefully this will allow me to let my beers sit for only a couple weeks before kegging and have them turn out better.

I probably wouldn't add any spices to it after its been kegged/ carbed. still in the secondary I would say go for it... that's how I adjust my spice additions... let it sit in secondary and taste it adding more if necessary. Once its kegged i call it over. you wouldn't be able to get a cinnamon stick out of a keg then you might end up over spicing it.

under is better than overspiced. it is also now more sessionable since its just a hint of pumpkin. at least thats what i've been telling myself...

My first batch of pumpkin spice called fore 1 stp spiced 2 minutes before flameout. After 4 weeks primary 4 weeks conditioning ans 2 weeks in frige, it had no discernable pumpkin taste. So I did a second batch with the spices 15 minutes in the boil. Just bottled it. Meanwhile, the first pumpkin batch (10 week conditioning) is now developing a very full bodied flavor.

jtsims21 said:
risk of infection when the yeast is no longer active

unable to pull off the spices without repackaging

risk of airation

You just make a strong spice tea (boiled) and the actual spices aren't added. No risk whatsoever, just did it last month.

risk of infection when the yeast is no longer active

unable to pull off the spices without repackaging

risk of airation

Infection - I would have soaked the sticks in vodka first
Aeration - As long as you aren't shaking the crap out of the keg you will not oxidize it.

I wouldn't be able to pull out the stick but that is why you only start with 1 and move up from there

You just make a strong spice tea (boiled) and the actual spices aren't added. No risk whatsoever, just did it last month.

That's a good idea. What did you use for your spices in that boil?

Infection - I would have soaked the sticks in vodka first
Aeration - As long as you aren't shaking the crap out of the keg you will not oxidize it.

I wouldn't be able to pull out the stick but that is why you only start with 1 and move up from there

when I did my pumpkin ale I actually added too much spices for my taste. I read the recipe wrong and added a tablespoon instead of a teaspoon of cloves. It was still a decent beer but WOW those spices came through.

On a separate note are you a Honda enthusiast? I take it from your sig you are! I have an Acura RSX type-s I've done some mods to, just I/E for now planning on getting Hondata reflash soon since the price went down a lot and I'll probably stay naturally aspirated. Maybe get a race header as well in the near future but may run too lean with the Reflash. Some say it's not bad with the earlier generation rsx's since they come from the factory running more rich.

Had a civic before it I was planning to go turbo with. No engine swap, just a d16 with I/H/E. Still have it around and for sale if anyone wants it, rebuilt the turbo myself will fit all 6th gen models just different fabrication for the charge piping with y7 models.

It's cool to find another person with the same similar hobbies :mug:

h22lude said:

I used ginger, cinnamon, allspice and clove. I have these tea bag things that are like empty tea bags you can fill. I filled a couple and boiled it with about 12 ounces of water, then added it at bottling.

Latest posts

Back