Just made my first batch. Looking for an answer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arkbrowns

Reaction score
Just made my first batch and I put my yeast in before I took a hydrometer reading. How bad of shape am I in? Love any input please
Thanks

I wouldn't worry to much about hydro readings on the first few batches. I would work on technique and procedures. That's what I did at least.

Any idea on when I should bottle or should I look for a hydrometer reading later. Mostly wondering since I didn't take a reading early if or when I should take one

If you want a gravity reading, adding the yeast will only make a miniscule difference (until fermentation starts, of course) unless you had a huge starter.

An active fermentation would decrease what the OG had been. If fermentation has not started an SG would be the OG.
If you brewed a kit and your volumes are correct and all the fermentables, LME and/or DME, were added your OG would be according to the recipe.
If this were all grain the efficiency you achieved mashing would affect the recipe estimated OG.

You simply won't know your OG and therefor cannot calc ABV or your brew house efficiency. That's not the end of the world. You made yeast food and the yeast will give you beer. Well done.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

What is the beer?
When did you brew?

Generally, leave it 2 to 3 weeks then bottle. Might be longer if it was a big beer or lager.

If you have only just brewed and pitched the yeast, take a gravity reading now.

Back